Nikon F2 Diopter attachments

steve_johnston4

<p>From an F2 promo booklet of ca. 1972:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A full series of eyepiece correction<br />lenses, from -5 to +3 diopters, is<br />available.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>B&H lists some (e.g., http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37345-REG/Nikon_2917_4_Diopter_for_F3AF.html ) but they are "no longer available" - still some information there.<br /> The closest I can come to a conversion from glasses to diopters is at<br /> <a href="https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikonf2/discuss/72157633240457394/">https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikonf2/discuss/72157633240457394/</a><br /> where Soverwong (may his tribe increase) says</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon finders are all set at -1, without any correction lens. Nikon correction lenses are not marked for their actual values, but actual values minus one, ie :<br /><br /> +1 is marked as 0<br /> +1.5 is marked as 0.5<br /> +2 is marked as +1<br /> etc<br /><br /> There is no -1.<br /><br /> If you can clearly see with a +1.50 reading glasses without a dipoter, then the correction lens you need is +0.5.<br /><br /> You can also go to your local drug store to try different strength reading glasses with your camera, and check which strength is the best for you. I found that it's not the infinity I am having problems with, but the meter readings. <br /><br /> My prescription is -3.25 for distance and 0 for reading, and I found a 0 diopter is perfect for my DP-12.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This seems to correspond to the accompanying pdf file - it's from Nikon, but I don't have a url for it, so...</p>

<p>I found, and have diopters for my three Nikons, F3HP, FA, and FM3a. My reader glasses are +2.00 also. The Diopter that hits it, is the +0.5 diopter. 0 doesn't work, tried it. +1.0 doesn't work, tried it. +0.5 is dead nuts, and it's glorious to be able to focus this fast with no glasses. It's amazing the difference between the one over, and the one under, they don't work. The one that's right, is the one that's right.</p>

<p>I agree with Don. I've got old Nikon cameras, Canon cameras, and Leica's. Canon and Nikon do their diopter ratings the same way, Leica does theirs different. So I use a "0" on both Nikon and Canon, and a "+1" with the Leica.</p>

<p>It really helps to try the group of diopters that are in your range, like for me with Nikon it would be "+0.5", "0", and "-0.5". The image really "Pops" when you hit the right diopter for your vision.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon finders are all set at -1, without any correction lens. Nikon correction lenses are not marked for their actual values, but actual values minus one, ie :<br /><br /> +1 is marked as 0<br /> +1.5 is marked as 0.5<br /> +2 is marked as +1</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No math is required. From the Nikon Compatibility Chart PDF posted above:<br /> <em>if you require a diopter of plus 3, simply</em> <em>add a plus 3 diopter to your camera.</em><br /> <br /> I use +1.5, so I have +1 and +2 (for when my eyes get worse). I found them by searching the web, using the keywords Nikon and the diopter part number from the chart. I found that many listings on Ebay and various photo parts sites tend to get the diopter value or the camera type wrong in the description. The Nikon part number seems to be the best way of determining if the diopter you're ordering will fit your camera.<em><br /></em></p>

<p>Why not simply wear a suitable pair of spectacles Steve? As a lifetime specs wearer I've never had any trouble using my F2 or any other Nikon camera. The dioptre correction inserts have a scratchy serrated metal rim, and are only suitable for straightforward prescriptions. The original eyepiece cover has a rubber surround that allows the safe and close use of spectacles - because it's non scratch!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The original eyepiece cover has a rubber surround</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just an historical note: Early (iest?) Nikon eyepiece covers had a serrated metal edge that was guaranteed (or your money back) to scratch glasses, even ones made of actual glass. I sort of feel that my rubber replacement cover on my old camera is "inauthentic" to period. :|</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I see that you are a Nikon shooter.<br>

Egad Holmes, how did you know that?<br>

By the scratch on the upper right of your glasses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Another diopter tip. The diopter thread size for the Nikon F3HP, is interchangeable with the F-100! When I discovered that I was elated. Nikon didn't make a +0.5 for the F3HP, and I searched for the longest time trying to get it right. So check the viewfinder thread sizes, you may be able to utilize other offerings.</p>

<p>Adding to the above, Nikon has been a bit odd about diopter capability and the official chart is confusing. There actually are only two thread sizes: the original F and Nikkormat, which goes through the non-HP F3, and the HP size, which fits the F3HP and any later threaded viewfinder. Different vintages have different surrounds, with or without rubber, and the chart distinguishes them, even though the threads may be the same.</p>

• 1 year later...