Nikon D7100. When and how to use ADL.

sam_ginger

You need to look at the lighting conditions you are shooting in. If the light is very contrasts (deep shadows and bright

highlights) it can help.

I'm sure you've already heard or read the lectures about why shooting JPEGs is not a great idea so I won't bore you by

repeating them. I'm sure you have your reasons for shooting the way you do. The one thing I'd change is to switch from

Program mode to Aperture priority.

<p>With JPG... use it when you want to brighten the shadows in harsh-lit scenes. Don't use it when you want to keep high contrast. Depends mainly on what you want to do. There is the 'auto' setting which applies the high level in harsh light but none is "soft" light (narrow dynamic range). Though even at one fixed level, the algorithm appears to be scene-dependent. <br>

High levels involve some (up to about a stop) of underexposure, compared to default metering. In certain circumstances, if one doesn't adjust exposure for each shot watching the RGB histogram, this may reduce the chance of blowing the highlights in harsh light. In other circumstances, this may cause some more noise in lifted deep shadows than there need be. <br>

The efficiency of ADL for lifting shadows and HDR-like processing is somewhat more restricted than the capability of the sensor. If you care for harsh light, you better shoot NEF, turn off ADL and learn to expose carefully for the highlights, then play with the sliders in Lightroom or such. For really harsh light even this is not enough, multiple bracketed exposures and HDR processing are needed. </p>

<p>I prefer to do a straight capture to raw and then do what you need to do, in post-processing rather than in camera. The D-lighting features aim to solve the high scene contrast issue in a way similar to HDR algorithms, and this doesn't always yield pleasing images (it depends a lot on taste). I make local adjustments to images when necessary but I select the areas affected by drawing instead of letting an algorithm decide what is to be done. Doing it by hand gives more control, but can be time consuming, depending on method chosen and number of images processed.</p>

<p>The only reason I can think of on a D7100 to shoot JPEG is to circumvent the relatively small buffer when you shoot long series. But enabling ADL also affects the buffer... so it becomes a bit a trade-off.<br>

Basically, enable it to taste. There is not one single answer In high contrast situations it can be a real benefit for JPEG, but for nocturnal high contrast situations, I do not find it all that big an advantage to add dynamic range. At high ISOs, try to keep ADL off as it intentionally underexposes (and later lifts shadows) - more noise in the low-light areas. In balanced lighting, I find the higher settings of ADL delivering more flat and lifeless images and prefer a bit less dynamic range and more punch. Plus, ADL has various settings, with different moments of use. I found the difference between ADL High and ADL Low quite noteworthy. It's all a matter of preference.<br>

So there really is not one single answer when to use it, and when to use which setting. I just prefer shooting raw and leaving ADL off completely (even with Nikon's software, which is the only software to recognise ADL settings in raw files, but there is no serious advantage over managing shadows/highlights the normal way).</p>

<p>To emphasize a point made above, ADL does protect the highlights from being burned out. This can be done manually by using a faster shutter speed or negative exposure compensation. ADL also lifts shadows but that can be turned off after the fact (in Capture NX2 at least by turning off ADL in the software). You cannot undo the underexposure that protects the highlights. I suppose in jpg shooting protecting the highlights has more value since burned out highlights aren't recoverable, as compared to raw shooting where highlights are somewhat recoverable. </p>