Fungus/mold on 100mm for GS-1

eric_m4

<p>After several years of shooting digital I decided to take my Bronica GS-1 setup out of storage and noticed what looks like tiny snowflakes on inside of the 100mm lens. I'm assuming it's mold or fungus or something else that's not supposed to be there. Anyway, is there a fairly simple DIY solution or should I just scrap it and get a new lens? It's very visible when you look down lens barrel but surprisingly I don't really notice it when I look through veiwfinder but I would like to prevent it from getting worse. Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>The 100/3.5 is the most common lens for the GS-1. I have three of them. Remember that the lens also has its own shutter assembly. It would probably cost less to buy another one in good condition than to repair the one you have. If the shutter in your lens seems to be functioning properly then it is at least possible to see if fungus can be removed. At this point there are probably more working PG lenses than there are working GS-1 bodies so proces for the PG lenses have been going down. In addition to the three 100s I have a 50, a 65, a 150, a 200 and a 250. </p>

<p>Hey Jeff, I was thinking the same thing but I thought maybe someone knew of an easy quick fix. I thought I once heard/read that putting lens in oven would take care of problem so I tried it earlier today since prices are fairly low for this lens, about $140 in "excellent condition" - whatever that means. At any rate, I left it in there about an hour at low temp. Still looks the same, works the same, hopefully won't get any worse until I get another one. I'm not a tinkerer but in a weird way I kind of want an excuse to take it apart. We'll see... BTW Jeff, why do you have three of them?</p>

<p>Some say that leaving the lens out in bright sunlight for as long as you can will kill the fungus and prevent further growth. Or use a grow light if it has significant UV content.</p>

<p>I believe that even if you remove the fungus, there will be a "scar" in the coating that remains. </p>

<p>If there is not much of it, it probably won't affect your pics. But don't keep it with your other equipment until the fungus is dead dead dead. </p>