Any information about this lens?

<p>I've wanted a Tessar for my Contax IIa, but I can't tell what this is. Says made in Germany, but not West nor Jena. Wonder if it's pre or post WW2? Coated? No answer from the seller. Any info would be appreciated.<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-RF-50mm-f-3-5-Tessar-Rigid-For-Contax-Rangefinder-Rare/251522594552?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22591%26meid%3D6853872822422854579%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D9790%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D251522594552</p>

<p>I wish I trusted myself enough to boldly claim some facts.. but I'm gettin' old and I don't trust myself.. so I will preamble this with the popular IIRC ...complete brass bodies were typical of pre-war construction, but general rule was a "Jena" marking. I am 96% sure this is an uncoated lens. I seem to remember reading that there was some post war production using simple brass like these and that might explain the lack of "Jena", but coating?? Well it was right after the war and they may have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for some hard cash.<br>

The possibility that this is a soviet copy exists, but I don't recall any production for this model. This would have to be a Frankenstein Soviet..effort and then more likely a "one of " as opposed to a real Dewey Cheatem and Howe model. My impressions. Interested in others replies with real source material and experience.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That e-bay vendor, 'villagegoodies' tends to have fantasy pricing on a lot of their items. Then they can say "Oh look, now 20% off" Yeah, 20% off a price 2X to 4X current market value. I'd pass on this just because of the seller. Take a look at some of the pricing on the other stuff they have. No connection to the real world. </p>

<p>Thanks, Guys.<br>

Guess that I'll either make a reasonable (low) offer or just pass.<br>

I used to have an early collapsible 2.8, but never got to make a picture with it before I lost it to a friend's wife when she divorced him and cleaned out the complete Contax outfit that I'd loaned him. Boy, he lost a lot of other good stuff, too!</p>

<p>The great thing about ebay is as cool and "rare" as something seems, if you are patient another one will come along. Check the completed auction prices before you bid, to see what kind of a deal this is or isn't.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>What is this lens's min focus distance?<br>

There is a much more recent russian/soviet lens Industar 50/3.5 that appears to be Tessar and has great image quality, flare resistance included. Existed in both RF and SLR versions. The only drawback - the MFD in the RF version is 1m. The price is much lower.<br>

I have one made in 1970-s; hardly use it, but wasn't able to reject the purchase because of the great condition. When I say "quality is great" , I mean on a 16 MPixel APSC Sony E-mount; cannot comment on full frame.</p>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=406178">Oleg Kosyakovsky</a> , May 13, 2014; 02:45 a.m. What is this lens's min focus distance?<br>

The Contax body determines the focus on their 50mm lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'd pass on this just because of the seller" <em><strong>john r.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I feel I have to come to the defense of this fine seller.<br /> Vacheron Constantin watches, Rolleiflex2.8f, Contarex Super, Hasselblad, Zeiss Sterotar, and Leicaflex SL2 50th Anniversary, <strong>etc. </strong><br /> <br /> Com'on <strong><em>john</em></strong>, this guy knows his stuff! Plus his pricing is proper Retail.<br /> Thanks to <strong><em>john</em></strong>, I just put him in my "favorite seller" list.<br /> <br /> <strong>BTW:</strong> The Tessar lens he offered is a rare "Rigid" model and besides, it SOLD...</p>

<p>I've seen lots of his stuff on the 'bay. It's more like MSRP, not retail. He puts on an item, immediately discounts it 15 or 20 percent, and we're supposed to go, "ooooh, good deal," and buy it now. Mostly, those auctions just run out and get relisted, a circle of selling.</p>