The sweetest shutter I've found so far....

jim_galli4

....is a Compur Electronic #1 that I just used for the first time

yesterday. This found it's way to me from Germany with a G-Claron 210

via E*Bay. I installed 2 Radio Shack 6V lith batteries and it works

perfectly. It may be the most vibrationless "tick...........tock" out

there. And perfect repeatable reliable results. I used the 32 second

setting on my first picture with it. What have others experienced?

Any nightmares? I think I'm in love.

Jim,

I've wondered about these myself. So far, I've found info on Steve Grimes' page

http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/index.htm

He doesn't seem impressed.

And I've seen a Compur electronic #5 described that uses 6 C cell batteries !?!?!? The #5 shutter does not appear to be the same shutter Steve Grimes has pictured on the page above, but has a separate "module" with aperture and shutter controls that also holds the 6 C cells. Maybe Steve will give us some additional info on the Compur electronic shutters.

Thanks!

Steve

Modern shutters are remarkably consistent. All of my lenses are from the 70's, perhaps some are from the early 80's. I can't justify the cost to have them all cleaned.

About a year ago, I purchased a Calumet shutter tester, and I was amazed at the results of my testing. After taking at least ten measurements per speed per shutter, something less than 7 trials overall were more than a tenth stop from the average. All were within a fifth stop. A large percentage were within a twentieth stop of the average.

As to the averages versus the stated nominal shutter speeds, there was less consistency. But, as long as one knows the actual speed of the shutter, one can change the aperture to adjust for the difference between that and the stated shutter speed. For my lenses, greatest differences I encountered were between the average and stated was for faster speeds, and these aren't that often used for LF.

To Bill,

The shutter is identical in size and appearance to a normal late Compur 1 to the point that it appears most parts would be interchangeable. And it works the same, ie. you have to physically cock the shutter and fire it in the normal manner with a cable release or trip lever. It seems the only difference is the escapement mechanism is replaced with an electronic counterpart that times and releases the rest of the mechanism in just the same way an escapement would.

and to Andrew: a valid concern I'm already thinking about; voltage and just how fragile is the circuit? Does anybody know what a safe voltage range would be for these? Does anyone have any original catalogs or literature about them?

Funny...

The only shutter I have that I trust absolutely (i.e. have never blamed for incorrect exposure) is an old Compound #5 shutter. It carries a Xenar 300mm F/4.5; the whole thing weighs well over a kilo. It was probably made around 1960, and has worked perfectly ever since.