Lost Images

<p>I am experiencing my worst nightmare ever as a professional wedding photographer right now.</p>

<p>I lost a large chunk of the last forty images of the day of the B&G on a Saturday wedding. The card somehow got corrupted. Some were showing up, others were blank with neon zig zags running through. In camera, the images were showing a preview. However, on my computer, they were not. After the wedding, I had uploaded the images twice to two separate hard-drives. I have a third, but that one is stored in another location & city in case of fire/flood/theft/etc. I clicked through a few of the images to make sure I had copied over correctly. It wasn't until after I formatted the cards and reshot over them for the second wedding that weekend and was going through the first wedding later that evening that I noticed the last forty were funky. I tried my other hard-drive, thinking that maybe I had just copied over incorrectly the first time. Nope, same thing.</p>

<p>So I started panicking a little. I tried four different recovery programs and contacted DriveSaver. They confirmed the sinking feeling I had in my gut - since the card the lost images were on was formatted & shot over, the data was lost. They had been overwritten. I am devastated. Overall, I lost 36 RAW images that would have yielded around ten finished edited JPEGs of the B&G, which is about 4% of the finished product. I have coverage of every other part of the day and a lot with bridal portraits of just the B&G.</p>

<p>I edited the wedding and finished in a week. I waited another week until they were done honeymooning because I did not want to put a damper on their time. My first mistake, apart from reformatting and shooting over the card (I've purchased a ton more since that happened so this never happens again), was that I had contacted them by E-mail. We just had an E-mail relationship and I was so shaken up about it still that speaking was hard. Anyway. I told them exactly what happened. I took responsibility. I offered monetary compensation, a free portrait session, fine art prints/canvas wraps, or a combination of any of those. I told them that I was so, so sorry that this had happened to them and that I wanted to meet up with them to discuss a plan and to deliver their images.</p>

<p>They were upset, of course. Understandably so. They requested a full refund. I agreed without questioning and offered a full free portrait session in addition to that. I told them that I knew there was nothing that could replace those lost images, but that I wanted to do whatever I could do gain their trust and to make things right. The groom said that he understood, and even at one point apologized that it had happened to both of us and complimented my style. I had set up a meeting with them for the following day in the morning to deliver the package and give them their full refund. Before the night was over, however, I sent them a link to their private online gallery so they could see the coverage so that they knew they were getting everything else. They liked my shooting and composition, but had a discrepancy with how I processed the images, even though they had liked the images I posted on Facebook the week before and raved about them. My processing hasn't changed in over a year. They requested unedited files + edited files without the light grain I had put on them. I told them that even though I want to be as accommodating as I can for their needs, I was uncomfortable with releasing unedited files and that it was against my policies. I offered to provide the edited files without the grain, but told them that I wouldn't be able to make delivery by the next day and it would be another week. He thought that I had just added on grain after all of the editing and that it would be an easy fix. Unfortunately, I add grain in the first step of editing. I manually edit every photo to make sure that every photo is the best it can be. It really would take an entire week to edit.</p>

<p>They blew up at me and told me that I had no respect for them. That they had specifically requested no grain prior to the wedding (they did not). I made another mistake in telling them that I don't remember them ever saying that to me. I always write important notes down during my meetings. He pointed to a message that he had sent me asking what my equipment was, assuming that I would know that he meant no grain by that. Never specified that he didn't like how I post-processed. I apologized for the misunderstanding (when really there wasn't any... they never, never, never said no grain) and offered to re-edit.</p>

<p>Anyway, they want to meet up that night instead of waiting until 10:00 AM the next day. It's 8:30 PM, and I am unable to meet up. I needed to go to the bank to create the check for the full refund. They tell me that I am disregarding them and holding their images ransom. That they need to have their images safely in their possession so I don't screw anything else up.</p>

<p>The whole time, I am being as polite as I can be. I am not letting my own emotions get in the way. I am apologizing, being remorseful and trying as much as I can to accommodate them. I don't understand how they found me disrespectful because I was literally doing everything they asked and then some, except for providing unedited images (which I state that I never do in my contract, regardless of anything). In my contract, I also state that my liability is limited to the return of all payments received for the event package if photographs that have been lost, stolen or destroyed for reasons within or beyond my control. And instead of holding them to that contract, I am offering a portrait session & trying to accommodate their request for the re-edit.</p>

<p>Anyway. I am meeting up with them tomorrow to give the full refund and DVD. I told them today, and were are meeting in the morning tomorrow. I am trying my best to be responsive and attentive to their needs. They want to get it over as soon as possible. I feel like I am going to break down and cry in front of them.</p>

<p>Have any of you ever been in a similar situation? I am scared to death that they are going to publicly scorn me and try to get more out of me, even after making amendments on the contract. I feel like at certain points they were threatening to tell everybody because they know how much photography businesses thrive on referrals and public image. What do I do if they try to take me to court? I am so lost. And the crappiest thing about all of this is that I really loved my coverage of this wedding. It was some of my best yet, except for those freaking 36 images. This is such a let down in my career and to them. I feel like they are making me out to be a monstrous villain, and I am literally bending over and taking it from them. What do I do?</p>

<p>Try JPEGsnoop, sometimes it is able to retrieve images from corrupted files. You'll get a JPG or TIFF that you can use for further processing.<br>

In my experience the problem is caused by communication errors, can be caused by a (bad) card or problematic connections: in camera, card reader, wiring, etc. So be aware of a repeat of these problems. <br>

I trust others will chime in about how to handle the customer. </p>

<p>Accidents happens. You have to work out a procedure to handle them and don't deviate. And you should have a standard form covering all of that and also what they should expect from your work (cf the grain issue) so it wouldn't be a matter of requesting this or that. Never do anything without a written agreement.</p>

<p>What images did you lose? Were they something critical or simply some of the shots made randomly near the end of the day? Did their loss have a major effect on the final product? I'm guessing so but still you have gone out of your way to make it up to them. A full refund and a re-edit plus a bunch of freebies. It's not as if they are getting no images at all and you appear to have stayed in communication at all times. There is only so much you can do and you seem to have done all of it. Don't hang your head and when you meet with them don't take a lot of crap from them. Stuff happens and I guess this points out the usefulness of dual cards but you appear to have done all you can. Learn from it and move on. <br /><br />Rick H.</p>

<p>They sense your panic which presents the situation much worse than it actually is and that you are exposing your throat to them as an animal would to show subservience. Indeed, you are offering up MORE than a total refund. Now they are going full throttle on you. You're stuck, business sense wise, giving them what you said but it is time to stop giving more concessions and the panic mode. At least in appearance. Be friendly and helpful now. Don't get walked over.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"What do I do if they try to take me to court?"<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Win. Since you are already making them more than whole after you substantially performed in the legal sense.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses. It honestly did help me go in to the meeting because I was completely lost about what was the right/wrong thing to do. Initially, I had thought I was approaching everything the right way, and it ended up blowing up in my face, so that just shook up everything that I thought I knew.</p>

<p>We met up. I immediately started apologizing and I ended up crying. It was a big crying fest. They even expressed that they were sorry for coming off mean the day before, which I told them to never feel bad about how they feel about this at all. I took all of the heat that they were giving me and more, even when at some points I felt that they were in the wrong. They said that they had appreciated my attitude today and wished that I had the same one yesterday. Which I did. It just wasn't being conveyed correctly. In the end, I paid a full refund and agreed to re-edit the images without grain and to have them ready in a week's time. I am hoping to pull some serious all-nighters and get them finished in three. Everything is stated on the contract and I don't think any further action is going to be taken on their end.</p>

<p>To answer your question, Rick Helmke, I think the answer to your question is subjective. While I did provide almost entirely full coverage of their wedding, along with many bridal portraits of the bride & groom separately and together, I lost the images at the end of the day of them together that they were looking forward to seeing. They weren't random and were memorable to them. I was able to pull four from the corrupted batch of images, but there would have been about ten more usable, beautiful images that I could have provided for them. I'm not sure if it critically affected the coverage, but to the B&G, it did, and that is how I have to take it. No matter how much I love the coverage and think that all of my other images are beautiful and emotional, I have to stay in the mindset of the B&G so I can be as attentive to their needs as possible.</p>

<p>This was definitely a very hard learning experience. I guess I was just getting too comfortable with everything going so smoothly and flawlessly. I thought I had my process down, but I don't. I have re-evaluated my approach to every aspect and will be making some changes so that a corrupted card can never screw up my relationships with my clients again. I just hate that it had to be this way. </p>

<p>Thank you all again for your time. This has helped me so, so much.</p>

<p>I agree with John H completely. Don't make yourself too vulnerable in situations like this. Sometimes you just cannot make friends with everyone, so you'll just have to settle for doing the best job you can under difficult circumstances and move on to the next job.</p>

<p>Incidentally, regarding your workflow, I'm not sure what software you're using for editing but Lightroom would make it very easy to undo a step, such as a film grain effect, in batch processing without affecting any other part of the photo edit. After that some very slight tone adjustments might be appropriate to compensate for any effect on contrast, but that depends on how heavy the film grain effect way.</p>

<p>Other editing software is "destructive" (I really dislike that term, but it's what the industry uses) and makes it more difficult to undo or change certain steps in the editing process. That's one reason why I'd avoid using programs like Nik, DxO and other "film emulation" programs for editing large batches of photos unless I was absolutely certain of committing to that look. These save to TIFF or JPEG (possibly PSD in some cases) and the only way to undo or alter an edit is to run the entire batch again and resave to TIFF, JPEG, etc. Lightroom only applies instructions to the image(s) you're editing and nothing is committed until the photos are saved or printed. And you can create virtual copies of photos to evaluate various edits side by side, then close the program, pick up another day and continue where you left off, without having to save to TIFF, JPEG, etc. Very handy for uniform or creative editing of large batches of photos from busy sessions.</p>

<p>The only downside to Lightroom is that some effects - notably film grain - aren't as good as other programs. Lightroom's film grain effect is too uniform across lights, darks and middle tones - real film grain doesn't look like that in print. Nik, DxO FilmPack and other programs do offer film emulation looks that are a bit closer to the real thing, particularly with grain. I'm hoping Adobe will refine Lightroom's film grain effect.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We met up. I immediately started apologizing and I ended up crying. It was a big crying fest. They even expressed that they were sorry for coming off mean the day before, which I told them to never feel bad about how they feel about this at all. I took all of the heat that they were giving me and more, even when at some points I felt that they were in the wrong. They said that they had appreciated my attitude today and wished that I had the same one yesterday. Which I did.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is ridiculous. It actually seems to be a psychological issue of some kind because, from a business standpoint, it makes no sense. Sorry to be so blunt but you really need to get it together. See my earlier post. Luckily, they apparently didn't demand more concessions especially considering they piled on more abuse as you surrendered the last vestiges of what little dignity you had left. <br /><br />Of course the problem is serious. Of course you should be apologetic and, of course, there should be an effort to make the clients whole. But now they are not only getting a free wedding shoot, free weeks worth of editing, free extra week of editing to change the grain that was consistent with the samples, free images, a free portrait shoot, free expensive canvas warps all way way above what they agreed to as damages in the contract. I'm not sure who respects you less. The clients or yourself.</p>

<p>One last point, and I was hesitant to make it before but it is probably for the best. Learn the proper use the of the word literally. It makes the meaning of the second to last sentence in the original post, well, uncomfortable...<br /><br />http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally</p>

<p>John H., it was only a crying fest because the bride was in tears before we even sat down, which in turn made me cry because I had felt horrible for being the one to make her feel that way. Never once in my career did I ever think I would make somebody cry for negative reasons, especially since things had been going so well. I was showing empathy, and if I hadn't, they could have tried to take things to another level. To tell me that I disrespect myself for empathizing and showing remorse for lost images and doing as much as I can to smooth things over is absurd. I did not agree to all of their demands and stated my case clearly and precisely as to why I couldn't. They ultimately respected my reasoning because they knew that I had zero malicious intent for them and that I was taking their situation seriously.</p>

<p>They did not get a free portrait session, canvas wraps or prints. It was something that I offered in the initial contact without knowing they wanted the full re-edit and that they rejected. Yes, they got entirely free wedding coverage out of it and yes, they are getting a complete re-edit, but considering that that is all I have to do to prevent them from going bat-shit crazy and slandering my name publicly is worth it in the end. No matter how much I would like to think my reputation is good enough that one bad review can't hurt me, I cannot risk that happening. I took a blow and dealt with it and prevented something far worse and prolonged and damaging from happening. All I have to do is pull a few all-nighters and re-edit without grain and be out a couple thousand and all of this drama will have started and ended in one week. That sounds a lot better than getting lawyers involved and dealing with this months down the road. </p>

<p>I do appreciate your advice and will keep it in mind if something like this ever happens again, especially with the word "literally." (: </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I had felt horrible for being the one to make her feel that way."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You aren't the one that 'made' her feel that way. At least not in the way you think.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"To tell me that I disrespect myself for empathizing and showing remorse for lost images and doing as much as I can to smooth things over is absurd."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I never said showing empathy and remorse, itself, amounts to a lack of self respect. Indeed, you should do that. It would be fair to say that going overboard way way beyond what is needed to make things up and offering oneself up for abuse is goes to self respect. Also, to the bottom line.<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"They ultimately respected my reasoning because they knew that I had zero malicious intent"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is no indication, whatsoever, that the clients would conclude that in any event.<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"that is all I have to do to prevent them from going bat-shit crazy and slandering my name publicly is worth it in the end."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They weren't going to. Your hyper emotionalism about failing them and overboard concessions, at the outset, is what made it appear that the error was of extremely greater magnitude that it actually was. That is the whole point being made which you are completely not getting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"All I have to do is pull a few all-nighters and re-edit without grain and be out a couple thousand and all of this drama will have started and ended in one week. That sounds a lot better than getting lawyers involved and dealing with this months down the road."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />YOU caused the drama. Well beyond that which would ordinarily occur. Now even more drama is being introduced fretting about lawyers and court cases. You have, so we are told, a liquidated damages clause in your contract. A mere minority fraction of images were lost. There is no way this would ever go to court and any lawyer seeing the contract will tell their client that the max they can legally obtain is liquidated damages and that is generally consistent with a TOTAL loss of images.<br /><br />I realize I'm giving some tough love here. Indeed, I am on your side. I admire your dedication and genuine care and commitment about what you provide to people from their important life occasions. I would hire you myself. Sometimes you need to suck up to your customers and let them be right, even when they are wrong. What I am saying here is that there should be some reasonable limits and, more to the point, not self fulfilling profecies of doom presented to clients. <strong>They may and will take advantage of you because you presented a situation as something more horrible than it actually is.</strong> Taking advantage need not be malicious. Indeed, they may think it is just. That is because you presented it as such. THAT leads to the very thing you are trying to avoid. Harm to your reputation and unnecessary losses. In other words, you harm you own reputation by throwing yourself under the bus when there is no bus or just a slow moving one where you get out of its way.</p>

• 4 weeks later...