I got my 20mm f1.8 today ;-))))

dave_wilson1

Hello everybody, I recieved my new Nikkor 20mm f1.8 from B&H today that I had on pre-order. I only use DX, so for me it's just fast wide,

not an ultra wide like on the FX. I decided to test it out on one of my D5100 to see how it felt balance wise and responded to the auto

focus. The lens has a nice hood and balances very well on the smaller body. From the preliminary dozen or so test shots I made, it seems

super sharp, the cat's whiskers were amazing, if you like cat whiskers. I was particularly interested in the vertical edge distortion right out

of the camera, even though it can be fixed in PS of course, and the close up point of view dimensional type foreground-background

separation at wider apertures which is part of my shooting style.

My first impression is that the lens is right in line with what I wanted and indeed very impressive. As with any of the wide aperture lenses

the critical nature of the closer focus is very touchy. For a close up of the face with the focus point dead on the eyeball, one shot was

nails, the other a little off. Same with the concept of putting a face in an environment. At f5 and close in it's critical to decide which part of

the face for example you want the focus point on. I need to mention it's very bright to see in the camera and I love that for working clubs etc.

As far as mechanics, it has a nice metal front, I decided to put a nano Hoya UV on it because I'm not always as careful and the front glass

sits out. It comes with a decent four corner hat hood, but I'm not too into hoods for my work so it will get little use. I hope to process and

add a few pics later.

<p>Well, I`m just thinking out loud about something that has been largely debated:<br /> I see the new 20/1.8 is a gold ringed lens, like the 24, 35 and 85 f1.4 G lenses, as well as the 28/1.8G and 58/1.4G. For such a wide lens the aperture is really wide; my 18 and 20mm Nikkors are f2.8. It`d be hard to have a faster version.<br /> The 24, 35, 50 and 85 f1.8 G lenses aren`t gifted with the gold ring.<br /> So maybe I`m late to the party, or you may find it too obvious, but it helps me to clarify that,</p>

<ul>

<li>Gold ringed lenses are just the top line/fastest/flag ship versions in a given focal length or range (it explains why some "cheap" lenses&zooms are "gold ringed" ones). It has nothing to do with the coating.</li>

<li>Obviously Nikon plan their development and releases in the long run (neither of the 50/1.4G versions is gold ringed, but -the five years later- 58/1.4G is... well, only if we consider the 58/1.4 to be of the same focal length family, or maybe, they already have a 50/1.2 project over the desk).</li>

</ul>

<p>If this is true, it`s very likely that there won`t be another 20 and 28mm lenses in the current designing or production stage.<br /> So Dave, you`ll be the proud owner of the best 20mm prime ever for a very loooong time... congrats! :D</p>

Good morning all. I will mess around some more later and post a few up. You have to understand that I am completely

techno fail. I give other people my files and they work with them, these I do myself and have no idea what I'm doing. So, I

will make crops off of the RAW cat of the toes and whiskers. Just remember I only shoot DX and this is the 5100, I would

assume that the 7100 would be better yet and then a full frame again some. Thank you for being patient with me, I'll post

some more in a while.

<p>Very impressive. How much for the cat? ;)</p>

<p>I was always a big fan of the Nikkor 20mm lenses. Mine was the early non-AI f/4 version (52mm filter Ø !). I still use it, but it won't fit on my FX (Canon) camera because of a rear flange, and I'm reluctant to modify these old lenses. Of course, it still works beautifully on my Nikon film cameras and DX cameras.</p>