what kit to take??

ardenpress

Less is more.

Recently I got back from a 4 week trip to Germany. It was a combination

vacation/research trip so I took far more gear with me than I normally would.

Frankly one of the biggest problems with bringing too much gear is that you

end up spending more time thinking about what lens to use then taking a

good shot. I used focal lengths from 21-135mm when I was shooting research

material, but when I went out on my own I usually ended up with just the M6

and a 35/2.

If you are stuck with only a 35 and 90, you will find a way to make the shot

work. You will probably also end up with a better composed picture, because

you had to get creative to make it work, than if you simply switched to another

lens and took the obvious way out.

I would suggest no more than this:

M6TTL

35/50/90

small TTL flash

or

M6TTL

Tri-Elmar (28/35/50)

35/1.4 or 2.0

small TTL flash

or

SLR with a small zoom (35-70?) and one fast prime, maybe a 35/1.4.

Small TTL flash

As a backup I would take a second body or a high quality P&S .

As far as SLR or M goes, what gets more use when you are at home?

If you take two different types of bodies you are going to have to take along a

set of lenses for each.

feli

For all near or far-off places I take my M6 TTL. My whole kit fits into my one single waist-belt bag (Lowepro "Orion Mini"). Depending on weight and of course on what I want to shoot <i>on that day</i> I always make one of the following four choices: (a) 1 lens only = my 2/35A <i>or</i> 2/50, or (b) 2 lenses = <i>both</i> of the above <i>or</i> one of the above plus my 21A, or © 3 lenses = all 3 of the above, or (d) 4 lenses = all 3 of the above plus my 2.8/90. I don't have SLRs anymore.

<p> Is that simple enough?

40/2, 50/2 and 90/4 plus two bodies if I have to choose from what I own. Given free choice it would be two bodies, 24/2.8, 40/2 and 90/2.8 plus maybe a 50/2 or 1.4 as a second normal lens. I would rather take more film with me than a larger lens or take advantage of the reduced weight by hiking further.

An SLR would also be an option, but I think this always depends on the person. I personally would take my RFs and leave the SLR at home, since a SLR always commands for longer (read larger and heavier) lenses.

I have been to India about 10 times now, last time I spend 3 months travelling throughout mostly the southern part of the country. Of course what you take with you depends a bit on where you are going, India is a big country. Wether you bring an slr or an m makes little difference, unless you plan to use telelenses for wildlife. Just take the camera that you feel most comfortable with. In most cases, a 35 and 90 will do. If you don't go trekking in the Himalayas (the less weight the better) you might consider to also bring a 28, a 50 and a 135. Of course it also depends on which lenses you own.

I have my Titanium travel kit always at the ready. M6 TTL 35/2, 50/2

and 90/2.8 and a lens carrier, plus a SF-20 with Lutz S-FILL. It all fits

into a 5"X 8"X 11" LowPro bag, including a fair amount of film & spare

batteries. I pack a small Gitzo carbon fiber T-pod in my luggage. For a

more important trip I may con my wife into carrying a 2nd body (M7)

with a 35/1.4 ASPH and replace the 35/2 with a 24/2.8 ASPH.

Were I to be so lucky as to take the trip you are going on, I'd take a M7

with 35/1.4 ASPH, and a Mamiya 7II plus 3 lenses. 50,80,150.

The only thing I hate about photo travel these days is film. I know all

the tricks, (spare me any posts on how to), ... it's still a pain in the ass to

travel with film these days.

I just returned from China. I brought:

M6, M3, 35mm 'lux, 50mm cron, Voigt 90mm Lanthar all in a Domke 803 (plus 75 rolls of film in a pair of x-ray sheild bags)

I used the 35mm about 75% of the time, the 50mm 20% and the 90mm 5%.

I never really wanted something wider or a 135mm lens. There are a few times I would have liked my F4 with a 300mm lens but I would not have enjoyed lugging around more. I also brought a table top tripod but never used it.

I have settled on a M6 classic, 24, 35 & 90 cron ASPH, - it is a great blend of compactness, speed and performance. I throw in a small flash, in a small Lowepro bag for a lightwieght travelling kit.

It sure beats travelling with a SLR and zoom lenses like some people.

Keep it simple. Two bodies, two lenses and a back-up point&shoot. I generally bring two M6TTL's [in M4 ER cases - using just the bottoms as half cases on shoots] with either a 35/2 and 90/2.8, or a 28/2.8 and 50/1.5; plus a Minilux 2.4 back-up. A sekonic 608 and a Leitz mini-tripod; plus film. Thats it, no redundant lenses, no fat � just travel lite and shoot. SLR? -- I have one, but its big, bulky and just not my style. Go with the M's, they will not let you down.

Ed, For a truly intelligent answer to your question, more information is needed. How long will be away? Will you be with a tour? What is the primary purpose of your trip, picture taking, vacation or a business trip? What do you like to photograph? If, I were popping in for a few days without an assignment, I would take a couple of M bodies and four or five lenses 21mm thru 135mm. If, I felt energetic, I would drop the 135mm and add an R body, a 60mm Marco lens, a 180mm and a 2x Extender. If, I had an assignment, I would tailor my equipment around it. Which generally means a reflex kit, long lenses, strobes, big tripods and a healthy dose of patience so I don't mouth off to a customs agent.

Good Luck and Happy Snaps,

It would have a lot to do with both the itinerary and my mode of transportation. Using India as the example:

1. Travel by private vehicle with a large amount of scenic destinations outside of cities:

Hasselblad 503CW (w 503CX as backup), 40, 50, 80, 150 and 2x; Coolpix 5000 for casual snaps (so I wouldn't need to bring 35mm film as well).

2. Travel by private vehicle with wildlife safari as central event:

EOS 1V (x2), 28-135IS, 50/1.8, 70-200/2.8 IS, 1.4x, 2 2x's. Rollei 35s or Yashica 35MC for casual snaps.

3. Travel by public transportation, or mostly cities:

M7 (x2), 21 C/V, 35/1.4ASPH, Tri-Elmar, 135APO, Viso III w. upright finder (to be used w. 135 for macro). Rollei 35S as backup.

If a wildlife drive would be in the offing, I'd bring the prism for the VISO III and the 400/6.8 Telyt-V.

I like light weight travel and do a lot of it. Here's what I find the

perfect outfit. M6, Tri Elmar, 90mm Summicron and 100 and 400 speed

film. I used this in Vietnam, France and Antarctica very successfully

this past year. I did supplement with Nikon SLR and long lens for the

Antarctica trip plus a lightweight Gitzo tripod. I can't rave enough

about the Tri Elmar. I have several Summicrons which will probably

see very little use in the future. Good shooting!

Ed...

First of all I'll assume you have experience working with either system and perhaps have both. I'll also assume you chose this equipment with purpose and have used it long enough to know how well this equipment fits in with this purpose, and how you communicate visually. If this is the case then YOU know your gear...YOU know how YOU work and how YOU communicate visually, YOU know the nature of this trip and what YOU are trying to accomplish...

Break it down dude...and good luck in one of my favorite lands on the planet.

I recently returned from 10 days in Thailand and Cambodia. This was a vacation and I planned on carrying my camera and taking a fair amount of pictures (for pleasure). I took an M6TTL, 35/2, 50/2 and 90/2.8. I also took a Contax T2 (Zeiss 38MM/2.8) P&S and a motor for the M6. I loaded the M6 with TriX and my wife shot color with the Contax. Took about 25 rolls total (hand checked in clear zip-lock bags - 8 flights and never once did the film go through x-ray!). I figured I could always leave some of the gear in my hotel since I was staying in very nice hotels with modern hotel safes. In fact, the kit was so light (in a Domke F6 bag) that I ended up carrying everything except the M6 motor (which I NEVER USED!). I did a fair amount of thinking before settling on this kit (including asking the members on this Forum) and I'd have to say that it worked out extremely well. When I look through the contact sheets and try to remember what worked and what didn't, I would say that I used the 35 and the 50 fairly equally (80%) and the 90 about 20% of the time (but I would not have been happy without the 90 since some of my favorite shots came using it). If I had one, I would have substituted a 28 for the 35 since the 35 just doesn't really handle architectural work as well as I would like and I think the 28 would work as well as the 35 for the crowded street photography which I like (and which probably exists in spades in India). Other than that, it was a great, light kit and I'd do it again in a second. Although the 3E sounds great, I was in and out of temples, ruins, building and shadow and I found I used the lenses wide open with some frequency. I've also travelled extensively in Europe with a 50 or a 35 only, without feeling under-equiped; however, I've been to these countries before and India (like Thailand/Cambodia) would be an entirely different matter if it's a once-in-a-lifetime sort of trip. Finally, I found in general that the M6's reputation for subtleness is well-deserved. I found subjects seemingly more at ease with the me smiling, bowing and shooting with my little motorless M6, than they were with my friend's honking, flashing Nikon. But I'm a believer already, so I could have been imagining it! Good luck and I hope you enjoy photographing your travels.

BTW, I want to thank the members who were good enough to give me recently advice on what to take for my trip. You were extremely helpful and as you can tell, your tips worked for me great! ER

I've tried every variation possible to cover the range between 20mm and 105mm.

<p>

I think what works best for me is an slr with a 20-35/2.8 zoom and either an 85/1.8, 100/2.8, or 105/2.5.

<p>

I also just picked up Nikons 45/2.8 P lens...that's small enough to throw in the bag.

When traveling to exotic locales, the temptation is to pack enough gear to be prepared for any photographic contingency, when doing the reverse is really more worthwhile. Instead of taking every lens to account for every focal length, along with tripod, long zoom, etc., ask yourself what you are REALLY going to be doing.

If you take one lens--and then shoot for that lens--you�ll end up with better pictures than if you are fiddling with gear, changing lenses, and forever second-guessing your choices. Yes, there will be times when you think, �I wish I had the long zoom,� but so it goes. If you are walking around crowded streets, in the heat and dust, you should be concentrating on more worthwhile concerns than the weight of your shoulder bag. And if you never been to India before, you will be doing yourself a serious disservice if you are all in knots about the weight and dollar-value of your camera equipment.

Last year, I took 50 and 100 mm lenses to India and used the fifty 98% of the time. I�m leaving for India next week and am taking 2 bodies, plus 28, 35, and 50 mm lenses, but it�s all Olympus gear, so it�s tiny. I�m not even taking a camera bag. Just a raft of film. Though it sounds as if I�m not following my own advice, I�m really only taking one extra lens and two of tiniest SLRs available. All this stuff fits in a vest.

I find traveling in India to be extraordinarily liberating. Lugging around of bunch of gear defeats the purpose. When you are among extraordinarily generous people who have very little, why show up with storage locker strapped to your back?

This thread seems to be skewing to the wide side of things and I would not disagree. I brought 35/50/90/135 to India, and next trip it will just be 35 and 90 (though the 90 will get little use). Preston's comment about lugging a bunch of gear worth a lifetime of labor for many Indians is a good point. Better at any given moment to be shooting with one body and one lens. The more and larger the equipment you brandish the greater the gulf between you and your subject, especially in a place like India.

Two bodies and the four Summicron focal lengths. Forget the RapidWinder, forget the external/HH meter, bring only orange filters besides uv already on the lenses, and bring a softar for the 90. Tiny old vivitar 252 flash. Tons of Batteries. MegaTons of film - and at this point the E100WS seems to be the daylight film of choice. I'd leave the low light to Delta 3200.

That all fits in the very compact "little bit smaller" Domke, in worn olive drab (machine wash it a bit with just a touch of bleach to make it "worn" looking).