Mirror lockup on a Nikon FE?

<p>But a temporary mirror lock up isn't a mirror lock up at all, is it? If the mirror descends again by itself at the end of the exposure, then it's not actually <strong>locked</strong>. It's been pre-fired, or pre-released. Off the top of my head, a good example of a 35mm SLR with an actual mirror lock up would be the original Minolta SRT 101. Others include Yashica's TL Super and Electro X models, which were fitted with same to permit the use of certain wide angle lenses that would be clipped by the mirror if it was permitted to move at all.</p>

<p>Well, my pocketbook never would have allowed for an 8mm Nikon fisheye that would have broken the mirror, marriage saw to that. :o)</p>

<p>The F thru the F5 did have true mirror lock up (if memory serves me). I used to have an F2, and I would lock the mirror up and then take a shot (with and without a cable release). The cable release obviously was less shake inducing. But it was a dance ... lockup, expose, unlock.</p>

<p>On an FE or FM or FA, I just use the self-timer to give the pseudo-lockup. Seldom do I have shake (even without a cable release) as the camera settles down prior to the shutter firing.</p>

<p>So, for me at least, it is easier just to use the self-timer. I don't have to lock up the mirror then unlock it for the next composition.</p>

<p>Jim's 2 centavos</p>