Which 6x6 Camera - Bronica vs TLR vs Mamiya 6

emily_rainsford

Emily,

In terms of budget and weight I would select a TLR as my first 6x6 camera. The are light weight, compact, inexpensive, and simple

mechanically. Both the Yashica and Rollieflex have good lenses. If you are just shooting the kids the TLR will be just fine.

If you need wide angle and telephoto capabilities it might be worth going with the SLR. I hiked the Grand Canyon carrying a Bronica SQ-

Ai with lenses. Not doing that again!

The 6x6 SLRs are versatile, but are heavier than a TLR and harder to hold steady below 1/30. If you are photographing anything that

moves, like a 2 year old, I suggest using a strobe and taking advantage of the leaf shutter on the TLR.

The Mamiya 6 is a nice camera. I have the Mamiya 7 and have used it for a while. The Mamiya and SLRs are five times more expensive

than the Rollei you mentioned. Is it worth it? To me the camera is another gadget to take pictures with. I used a Yashica TLR for many

years and was happy with the images. I even photographed weddings using the Yashica. You will need to be more selective

photographing with the 6x6 since you only get 12 exposures. The large 6x6 negative or chrome is fantastic compared the the 35mm

image. The one thing the TLR lacked was wide and telephoto attachments. This was because I never bought them.

Best of luck deciding.

Ricky

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ricky you talk a lot of sense. I've most recently been looking at the sq-Ai and I have to admit to some gear lust - there is

something about it that draws me and the photos I've seen have a gorgeous quality. But you may be correct that an

inexpensive TLR may be a good entry point and I could move to an SLR later if I wanted. What you mention about the

hiking is one of my concerns - that the weight and bulk will lead to it staying home over more portable options in my

arsenal. I've also been eying up the Minolta Autocord as a TLR option...

Emily,

The Bronica got less use as kids came along. The gear that goes with hiking and outing with infants and toddlers

eventually replaced the camera gear. When they were three years old II started to carry one camera with the 80mm. The

rest stated in the car or at home. The TLR was eventually replaced by a 35mm because the kids were doing too many

funny things that I couldn't t change film fast enough.

The equipment choice depends on what you need to do. I have some great 6x6 shots of the kids before they learned to

walk and run. Once they got into the running is fun mode, I switched over to using the 35mm. The TLR 6x6 still got used

for soccer, softball and basketball as the second camera.

The important thing is to capture the moments whatever equipment you use. Image quality is great, but sometimes the moment captured is once in a lifetime when it is your kid. My kids are always claiming the old photos must be of their sibling doing something silly.

Ricky

<p>"I care about the real world application - can you hand hold something or not, in practice."<br /> Exactly. The real world is what my opinions are based on, and my own experiences using these type of cameras. And some cameras produce a better result than others hand held due to their design.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>You have gotten many good ideas, and I hesitate to throw another hat in the ring… but there are several different things to know about MF: <br>

first, there are systems cameras. These will do amazing things, almost anything you want, except they are not fast, and they are not light. Most are SLRs of some kind, but with the WLF they can be somewhat reasonable in size. There are a few boat anchors among these as well. The best (IMHO) is the Hassy V, which I owned and never really bonded with, but still like a lot and yearn for sometimes. The ergonomics on it aren't ideal for street shooting, but its a great camera. There are others, but watch the weight add up. <br>

then there are MF cameras that are more like enlarged 35mm cameras, but work to 120 film. The Mamiya 6 and 7, Bessa, Plaubel, Pentax 6x7, and a few others are in this camp. They are very good camera, most are rangefinders, and in the case of the Mamiya, the lenses are lovely and fine. I really like RF for 35mm work, but somehow for the more contemplative MF work, not so much. Each their own. <br>

The TLRs are pretty much unique to MF work. The issue of parallax is not important, they don't focus super close without attachments (not a big deal), but they are lovely in the hand. The ergonomics on the Rollei, for example, are worked out over 50 years, and very clever. I find them very good for hand-held work, and they are a fine travel camera. They are quiet, the viewing on the GG is what makes them special as well - as you think about the composition of the picture in a way that is different than other cameras. I wouldn't start with anything else, but there are many different voices out there who come from different places on this. But the TLR has the right combination of lightness, ergonomics, contemplative shooting, and street fast that is just special. <br>

One other thing - on lenses. There was a test years ago of a Mamiya 6 or 7 lens, a Hassy V (Zeiss) and a 1950s Rollei TLR. While the Mamiya was the best, the Hassy very good, the big surprise was the quality of the TLR - it held up just fine in today's world. Of course condition is important on these. <br>

Some folks like the Yashica 'cause of the changing lenses, but the weight is significantly more (although its cheaper), and that takes away from the portability. <br>

Hope this helps - <br>

Geoff</p>

• 4 weeks later...