New EF and EF-S lenses too!

ruben leal

<p>I'm don't think the EF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM is a replacement or update of the EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM. It falls in the marketing segment for the 1990s era EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM. I wouldn't be surprised if the 28-135mm fades away when stocks are depleted.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I completely agree with Puppy Face. I wouldn't replace the 24-105 L at this point, that's a relatively new lens, what about

replacing the 100-400 L? And no, I don't think the 200-400 L is a replacement, at least no at that price.

On the other hand, I believe a 24-105 STM opens the door to speculations about a new 'full-frame' camera with Dual

Pixel CMOS AF, which obviously is in the works (once Canon is leading the way with that video focusing technology, they

should use it in every single new camera, even more now that Apple implemented it in the iPhone 6, then they may feel

the need to replace all their non-L USM lenses to include STM).

<p>It certainly appears that they are ramping up the STM capabilities to replace lower tiered USM lenses. I notice that all the new STM lenses have FTM, the lack of which in prior lenses prevented me from seriously considering them. I expect the 24-105/3.5-5.6 STM will be a new kit lens for 6Ds, and 7D2s.</p>

<p>I guess we have to see what the performance of the new 24-105mm STM is and how it compares with the L. It gains half a stop at the wide end, which has got to be good, and it is cheaper (although the L often goes very cheap). It is not L construction, but does this matter if it performs as well and is smaller and lighter? Perhaps Canon got sick of the 24-105L always being sold at a discount, so are replacing it with the STM which really is much cheaper.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>The 10-18 is a seriously good & cheap lens for the smaller format. Linear distortion is only slight at 10 and 18, barrel & pincushion, and more or less absent in the 12-16 focal lengths, & corner light fall off is minimal.<br>

Haven't checked resolution technically, but seems adequately sharp into corners. </p>