Looking for the smallest Nikon camera that can use a good lens

cguaimare

Smallest camera that uses réflex lenses

Usually a bring with me a Canon powershot S90. My réflex is a Nikon and I love taking pictures with it, but sometimes I want to go light

but still want to take decent pictures. What is the smallest Nikon camera that uses the lens that you can use in a d7000, d800 and so on.

<p>The D3300 is quite small, but uses the same size sensor as a D7000. So your existing lenses will behave in a familiar way. <br /><br />Or, you could look at using a mirrorless APS-C format body, like one of Sony's NEX offerings (the NEX 7 is quite impressive). But you'd need to buy a small adapter to mate it to your F-mount lenses. The advantage is that the mirrorless bodies are quite a bit smaller still.</p>

<p>A Nikon 1 camera needs the FT-1 adapter to use an F mount lens, and the lens/adapter combo is bulky and reduces functionality. I have both a D3200 and V2 and recommend the D3xxx option for what you want.</p>

<p>Depends on your existing Nikkors, and how much functionality you want to retain. If the lenses you already own are manual focus AI/AIS types, that will limit the choices of Nikon dSLRs that can meter with those lenses. And most smaller Nikon dSLRs lack the built in motors to drive screwdriver-focus AF Nikkors and comparable third party lenses.</p>

<p>Lex makes a good point - which lenses are you already using with the D7000 and D800, and what functionality do you want on the smaller camera? A Nikon 1 could be nice, but with a 2,7x crop factor not great for wide angles, for example.<br>

Small and light for me: F65, with a AF-D 50mm f/1.8, or AF-D 35 f/2. With a decent scanner and good film, the quality can be really great.</p>

<p>If really small size is a factor, and you don't already have a lot of lenses, there are other systems out there. I have a little Oly µ4/3 that I carry with me that is a lot of fun, and Fuji, Sony have some good options, too.</p>

<p>Seriously, I DESPERATELY want a Nikon mirrorless DX camera that doesn't currently exist (think a Nikon version of the Fuji X-series). Maybe someday.</p>