nikon 28mm AF F2.8 VS 28mm AFS 1.8G

pushkarrajsharma

<p>I m planning to upgrade to d610 from d300s <br>

i hv been addicted to street photography and will continue to do so ( i had d300s 17-55 f2.8 & tamron 60mm f2 ) <br>

for streets i always shoot 20mm on 17-55 2.8 so 30mm FX .. <br>

i was planning to go for 35mm f2 AF D instead looking now for 28mm F2.8 AFD or 28AFS G 1.8 <br>

is there are real difference in optic quality between two lenses and usability and autofocus <br>

plz assist </p>

<p>I can't speak from personal experience with these (my range jumps straight from 24mm to 35mm, excluding some slow zooms that start at 28mm), but <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-AF-Nikkor-28mm-F28D-on-Nikon-D3X-versus-Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-28mm-F18G-on-Nikon-D3X___750_485_952_485">reviews</a> <a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/550-nikkorafd2828ff?start=1">say</a> <a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/751-nikkorafs2818ff?start=1">yes</a> - if you care about the areas of the frame away from the centre (presumably, for a wide angle, you do) then the AF-S does appear to be appreciably sharper. I can't comment on AF performance, though.<br />

<br />

I hope that helps.</p>

<p>Had the 28mm f2.8 AFD a few years ago when I bought it ahead of upgrading to full frame from a D90 but the lens was pretty bad even on the D90, picked up a 24-85mm AFS lens and it was streets ahead of the 28mm f2.8 and again on the D90 and it is pretty good on the D800 too. I've got the 28mm f1.8g now with a D800 and it is really very good, if you want prime lenses you would do better to spend a bit extra and get this lens first time around.</p>

<p>Maybe I'm just lucky and my sample of 28mm 2.8 AFD gives me great images. It's small, light and inexpensive, I have used it many times as a vacation lens or a backup/alternative to big pro zoom lens. I have no experience with 1.8 version.</p>

<p>The 28/2.8AF I had was not as bad as some report, it was OK stopped down but not great. The new 1.8G lenses (both 28 & 35) are a lot better.</p>

<p>I now use a Nikkor 28/f2 manual focus for night street photography, or a 28-70/2.8 AFS.</p>

<p>Sorry about the accidental double post.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>is there are real difference in optic quality between two lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Read the two reviews on photozone for these respective lenses, and you'll see that test reports state there is a clear and noticeable difference in optic quality. The AF-D 28 f/2.8 looks a lot like the AF-D 35 f/2 I have: decent performer, nothing bad but also nothing special and rather mediocre at wide apertures. But there is also a noticeable difference in size, price and weight.The 28 f/1.8 isn't all that small really.<br>

So, it becomes a matter of compromises: what is the most important to you? Given you are now using a very large lens for street photography, I can imagine the size/weight argument isn't the most important. In which case, I'd get the 28 f/1.8G - also because it gives more creative options with regards to depth of field (but since I much prefer 35mm over 28mm, I have no need for one; and would I want a 28, I'd search for the AiS 28 f/2 Robert has instead).</p>

<p>As for the D610 being an upgrade from a D300 - we could discuss over that, because it's "give a little, take a little"; it much depends on what's most important to you in a camera whether it is really an upgrade or not. But that's just an off-topic rambling ;-)</p>

Funny, looking at the other replies, the other prime lens I bought pre full frame was the 35mm f2, absolutely hated it too, maybe I was

unlucky and bought 2 lemons but there is obviously a certain amount of sample variation and big issue with a D90 is that you can't fine

tune a lens if you need to but that 24-85mm AFS lens was very good on that camera, images just seemed crisper, even more vibrant than

the 2 older AF lenses and always sharp. The 28mm f2.8 and 35mm f2 were on the soft side which surprised me as I had expected them

to be better than the zoom lens, many possible factors I guess, buy whatever works for you, don't worry about the new 28mm f1.8 lens

being bigger than the f2.8 version, it is still a very light lens, just bulkier. Also I know it isn't a prime lens but have read quite a few good

reviews on the new 18-35mm AFS lens, seems to be sharp and lightweight, strikes me that it would be a good walk around lens on a

D610.

<p>can someone help me with Auto focus <br>

will AFD VS G which one will be faster in focus . Focusing and accuracy is my main concern <br>

i understand AFD will not hv internal motor that G ones has but 610 has a mortor , will it compensate <br>

i want to buy in a week's time i m getting confused ( if someone has used a 35mm AFD ) probably they know if autofocus in acurate / fast in D lenses </p>

<p>Pushkar, unfortunatley the Nikon character system is clear as mud.... The letter G does not indicate anything for the focus motor. It only means the lens does not have a dedicated aperture ring, which is something you do not really need to worry about with a D610. There are G-lenses without a built-in AF motor (i.e. AF 28-80 f/3.3-5.6G).<br /> The Nikon indication for a lens with built-in motor is <em>AF-S</em>.</p>

<p>AF-S lenses tend to be more accurate in focussing. For the focus speed - it's not that easy to say. Most AF-S lenses are faster to AF, but not all. Especially the fast primes (f/1.4 and f/1.8 AF-S lenses) seem to be optimised for focussing accuracy rather than speed; so, they can be somewhat slow; I can confirm the AF-S 50mm f/1.8G focusses slower than a AF 50mm f/1.8D on the same body, for example.<br /> The bodies with a built-in motor needed for AF-D lenses, the speed depends a lot on how powerful the motor is (for example, a D3 has a much strong motor than a D70) plus how heavy the lens is. A small and simple lens as the 35 f/2D focusses very fast on a D700 or D300, for example. The D610 should have a pretty powerful motor as well, though I do not know how it compares to other models.</p>

<p>Frankly, maybe it's not a bad idea to simply start with the D610 kitlens (24-85VR) which is a good performer for a good price, and then take your time to find the right prime.</p>

<p>Well I was talking about Nikon's own make of lenses used on full frame, don't know why anyone would think I would recommend anyone to use a DX lens on a D610! Yes, meant the relatively new Nikon 18-35mm full frame lens, I think it would be a good match for the D610 for a lightweight go anywhere outfit, it does seem to get good reviews. For landscapes I prefer prime lenses but for other uses zoom lenses could be a lot more flexible for street photography and other people type photography.</p>