Image fake shot

cordek

<p>I need to complete a product shot with the product appearing "ghostly" in the air. In other words, it cannot appear to be on the table, show strings/wires but must show shadows. Background around the product is white. I've never done this and I've been frustrated in my attempts to do this for the past few days. Anyone help/guidance?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Depends on the object, size and weight how to suspend the object. Wires,tooth picks, strings can be edited out with clone brush. Sometimes you can do two shots, with the object and without the object, layer the two shots in Photoshop, object layer on top, erase all part of top layer that shows support. There are a lot of tricks you can do in Photoshop, even less costly software like Paint Shop Pro can do this.</p>

<p>This probably should be moved to digital darkroom forum.</p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>On a plain white background, it's not even necessary to layer it. simply suspend it, shoot with the wires and use the clone/heal brush in PS (or even LR or even camera raw) to eliminate the wires. Should take about 10min on a plain white or graduated background.</p>

<p>If it were hovering in front of a bush, or some busy nearby background, it could be much more difficult, but that's not the case here.</p>

<p>Best way is to shoot two shots with and without the object. Make sure the lighting is from the same direction to ensure shadows etc are correct in both shots.<br>

Probably better to support the object from below if it is large. Keep the camera in the same position for the two shots i.e. use a tripod.<br>

In Photoshop or an editing program that uses layers open both shots and using the move tool drag the 'object' image over the 'background' image. This will produce a new layer. Reduce the new layer opacity to about 80%. This will help to align the two layers so that the background is fully aligned.<br>

There are now several ways to proceed, I would use the erase tool to delete the object support and shadow from the new layer (usually layer 1). This is best done with the layer 1 at 100% opacity, taking care at the object edges using a small erase brush to ensure a 'soft' edge. Once all evidence of the support has been removed the layer 1 opacity can be set to whatever value to achieve a ghostly (transparent) effect. Once satisfied with the result you can flatten the layers and save the image.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...