Tamron 150-600 and Ai Servo on the 7d

david_attia

Hi all,

I am looking for a superzoom for an upcoming safari and am very very interested by the new Tamron 150-600, as ... Well almost

everybody!

The thing is I read that there are numerous Ai servo issues with the 7d so my two questions are

How bad is it on the ground? Can pumping the autofocus solve the issue? What about changing the settings for CF 3 option 4 to 1, any

improvement?

Last, is ai servo a plus or a must for a wildlife safari?

Thanks

David

<p>I've read the lens's firmaware has been updated. Newer lenses should ship with the new firmware, earlier ones should be send for service.<br>

You may take a look at FM forum:<br />http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1296983<br>

Please note I don't have first-hand experience with the lens, I am just reporting what I've read elsewhere.<br />Hope it will help</p>

<p>At least two universal principles come into this:</p>

<ol>

<li>Never buy 'point zero' of anything (Gates's Law)</li>

<li>90% of what is on the internet (and everything else, for that matter) is crap (Sturgeon's Law)</li>

</ol>

<p>Apply as needed, and call me in the morning when you find out. ;)</p>

<p>But seriously, if you do find out, pass it on. :|</p>

I owned the Tamron lens with the original firmware and can attest that it performed poorly in tracking AF situations with

the 7D. It also didn't work so good with shooting action on the 5D mk3.

After returning the lens, I waited several months and purchased the same Tamron model with the revised firmware. AF

tracking is noticeably improved with both bodies. I can recommend the lens now. The image quality at 600mm is merely

OK, but it is a way of getting to 600mm on the cheap. In my experience the 5Dmk3 images with this lens--action and

static shooting--are much sharper than with the 7D.

ME