Nikon Super Coolscan 4000

<p>I waited to see if someone could help, but I think you're headed onto the "path less traveled by" here.</p>

<p>I tried some SCSI to Firewire and several other kinds of interface adapter connections and my luck with such devices was totally negative. I noticed as I watched the market, that very soon after their introductions, only "hardly used" ones remained available, suggesting that my experiences were not unique.</p>

<p>Maybe Firewire to Thunderbolt is more straight forward? All I can suggest is to try and see. Please let us know either way; I too need to replace my old scanner....</p>

<p>I've not tried Silverfast, but have used VueScan for over a decade now and been very happy with it.</p>

<p>Thanks, JDM. I've searched for issues and called Apple. It's not a popular topic, but I also can't find anyone with any problems. The comments that have been posted on other sites are all favorable. I will report back with my experience.</p>

<p>Here is an idea you may want to think about. Buy an older, but known working, Mac with a Firewire port and NON INTELL based. You could hook the scanner up and use the standard Nikon software. You would use the computer as dedicated to the scanner only. This is how I used my Nikon scanner, the 9000 model. My computer was an Apple G4 laptop, pre Intel version. I eventually got a new iMac, but keep the older Mac for running the scanner only. (I have since sold the scanner). </p>

<p>You may find this is the best way to go in this situation rather than struggling to make a Thunderbolt port function as a Firewire, plus having to use 3rd party software. While I never used Vuescan or Silverfast, I always liked the Nikon Scan software, though I actually only used it for the initial scan and ICE application as a 16 bit Tiff file, then imported that into Photoshop for any further adjustments. </p>

<p>Here is an idea you may want to think about. Buy an older, but known working, Mac with a Firewire port and NON INTELL based. You could hook the scanner up and use the standard Nikon software. You would use the computer as dedicated to the scanner only. This is how I used my Nikon scanner, the 9000 model. My computer was an Apple G4 laptop, pre Intel version. I eventually got a new iMac, but keep the older Mac for running the scanner only. (I have since sold the scanner). </p>

<p>You may find this is the best way to go in this situation rather than struggling to make a Thunderbolt port function as a Firewire, plus having to use 3rd party software. While I never used Vuescan or Silverfast, I always liked the Nikon Scan software, though I actually only used it for the initial scan and ICE application as a 16 bit Tiff file, then imported that into Photoshop for any further adjustments. </p>

<p>I had thought about outfitting another Mac for this, but ultimately I found a CoolScan V at a good price and this is a USB scanner. FWIW, though, I found a lot of posts on various sites vouching for the Firewire to Thunderbolt converter. No one seemed to have a problem using that method. Just an FYI. Thanks to both of you for your help!</p>