New film camera

<p>Another illustration of how paper money unless invested, is comparatively a "trash" investment:</p>

<p>Arguably, the best VW Bug was <a href="http://1967beetle.com/67-beetle-price-list/">made in 1967</a>. <<< <em>click </em><br /> (A Leica M2 camera body in the same year went for $254 - Leica M-A <em>type 127</em> today goes for $4,750)</p>

<p>Now, the VW cost <strong>$1758.40 in 67'</strong> - (Gold's last $35 per ounce yearly average)<br /> $10,000 back then allowed one to buy <strong>5</strong> VW Bugs with change left over, and in Gold, <strong>50 ounces</strong> to acquire it.</p>

<p>Today, a VW Beetle sells for <strong>$20,470</strong>.<br /> <strong>$10,000 today</strong> allows you to <strong>own only 1/2 of it </strong>and <strong>50 0z</strong> of Gold buys you three fully paid for 2015 VW Beetles!<br /> A little more than <strong>16</strong> ounces of Gold today, allows <strong>full ownership of one VW...</strong></p>

Gentleman:

This is a photography and not a

economic forum. Just for clearification

cash I mean the American dollar. I

understand some of you may not live in

the USA. However, just for your

information, the dollar index hit 4 year

high this Thursday. Gold, silver and

other commodity prices are still going

down. Tell me again this is inflation.

We live in a different times now. Heard

of the Japanese style deflation? It was

reported that the price a can of a

popular Japanese soda stays the same

for 20 years.

It is no good to fantasize on prices of

your Leica lenses and film cameras,

just try to sell some, see what you can

get.

<p>"This is a photography and not a economic forum" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong><br /> <br /> It seems Kin, you brought it up <strong>first and often</strong>:<br /> "No camera and lenses are 'investments'. None! Especially Leica" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong><br /> "We are living in deflationary times" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong><br /> "the dollar index hit 4 year high" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong><br /> <em><em>"Tell me again this is inflation" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong></em></em><br /> "Japanese style deflation?" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong><br /> <br /> Now allow me: <br /> The US dollar is strong because the US <strong>currently</strong> happens to be the world reserve currency, this during a time when other currencies happen to be going through some turmoil; plus, it's what buys oil. But you can fake it for only so long (like fiscal "bubbles" or taking a "cartoon" running jump off of a cliff, there is a time when you're not falling).<br /> <br /> As far as your "Japanese style deflation", unlike past USA history, the Japanese <strong>actually manufacture things</strong> the world buys.<br /> <br /> Finally,<br /> I think I've proven that long term inflation continues and is irrefutable. (Economics 101 teaches that the <a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inflation">definition of inflation</a> is money printing)<br /> "Leica lenses and film cameras, just try to sell some, see what you can get" <strong><em><em>KinY.</em></em></strong><br /> I have sold them, and contrary to your statement, done very well...</p>

<p>I'll add this to the discussion, for whatever it is worth:<br /> In 2008 I bought a 50 Summicron M Lens (Wetzlar) "Third Version" (I think), in excellent condition from Tamarkin for $799. After about 150 rolls on my M7 with that lens, I sold the lens in 2013 for almost $1,300.<br /> So in terms of several dozen great pictures and the money I made, a fine investment indeed.</p>

<p>Shawn: Glad you sell it at a good price. A similar(also Wetzlar) summicron M is now selling for $980 in e-bay and asking for best offers. There may have been a shortage at the time you sold it. Before 2008, 50 mm lenses were selling at "give away prices " as a standard lens for people's new M cameras.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"It is no good to fantasize on prices of your Leica lenses and film cameras, just try to sell some, see what you can get."</em><br>

The fantasy is for anyone else to think that they know better than I do what cameras and lenses I own, for how long, and what I paid for them. Of course, only I know these facts, therefore such sweeping comments do not add anything to the debate.</p>