Canon AT-1 Shutter Sticking

jfhall

<p>Hi, have been using a Canon AT-1 for a few weeks now without any issues. Now the shutter mechanism is not operating properly. It appears to 'stick' when the shutter button is pressed. You don't hear the normal 'clicking' sound. The shutter only returns when I remove the lens. I have tried this three times and the same results. Any ideas? Thanks as always for your advise and comments. Jim</p>

<p>Ed is right on and the A series cameras are 100% dependent on the battery. If you have a newish battery, I doubt it's the problem, unless you have a short and the battery is prematurely discharged.</p>

<p>If you remove the lens from the camera, will the shutter and mirror fire OK on the naked body? If that's the case, I'd wonder if it's something in the lens apparatus that's interfering with the sequence, like the aperture lever being obstructed. (I had something like that 35 years ago with my AT-1 and a T-mount adapter with too strong a spring, but I can't remember if it stopped the shutter firing like you're describing.)</p>

<p>You mean the shutter or the mirror? The shutter can't "return", it can either open or close, but it cannot return. The mirror, however, can. So, if it is the mirror which stays up, you should also check if the mirror cushion is sticky,<br>

If it is the shutter you mean, then thge camera will not fire and you shouldn't be able to transport the film either.</p>