best Nikon D810 processing software?

sim_jo

<p>Just got nikon D810. Now how do I best process these images? without buying any specialized software. still in photoshop CS6, don't plan to upgrade to the subscription version. Don't use lightroom. I do have capture one but it only works with my phase one camera… </p>

<p>Check which version of ACR you have (in CS6: Help --> About Plug-In --> Camera Raw; you need 8.6 to process D810 files. If you have an older version, then you need to update. For the time being (i.e. as long as adobe still sells CS6), new cameras will be supported in ACR (but the CS6 ACR won't get the new feature that the CC subscription version of it gets). ACR 8.6 is available here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html (just in case the "download manager" (or whatever is currently needed on one's computer to get updates) doesn't function properly).</p>

There is Nikon's Software, which does a very good job. It's free and called Capture NX-D :

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/Capture-NX-D.html

I'm using Lightroom 5.8 right now for D810 NEFs , and created a custom dual illuminant profile for it using Xrite's

ColorChecker Passport system.

Irident Developer http://www.iridientdigital.com is definitely worth a try as well.

But I too am awaiting the update of Capture One Pro.

<p>I have Nikon Capture NX-D, Photoshop CS6 with latest RAW converter, and Lightroom 5 with latest updates. I process D-810 images using Lightroom and a modified Camera Neutral profile that is equivalent to using Netural in the camera with C+1 and S+1 selected. I modified the Camera Neutral profile using Adobe's DNG Profile Editor to generate a modified tone curve and increased saturation by setting Red, Green, and Blue Saturation to +7. You could do the same by generating a custom tone curve for the RAW converter and setting Saturation to +7. The RAW converter for Photoshop gives the same results as Lightroom. The color is slightly different for the Camera Neutral profile in Lightroom and Camera RAW compared to Neutral in camera or Capture NX-D - I like Camera Neutral in Adobe better. <br>

I only use Nikon Capture NX-D and a RAW file to show what various in camera adjustments will do for the in camera jpg. Capture NX-D does not have enough capability for the adjustments I need. </p>

<p>Do you mean you "only" have CaptureOne DB (the free version for digital backs)? I don't believe there is a direct upgrade from DB to Pro, but PhaseOne has a fairly serious discount at the moment (about half price), so if you're used to CaptureOne and are happy with it, it could be a good time to get the Pro version. It could bring your workflow to a single one (regardless of camera used), could be a pretty big advantage.<br>

I do not have a D810, but I use CaptureOne 7 with Nikon raw files, and in my view, it delivers great quality. But indeed it's not yet updated to include D810 support.</p>

<p>I find the sharpening capability of Capture One superior to that of ACR and NX2, but the interface is less than intuitive. Overall I think ACR offers the most flexible workflow options; in that you can save profiles and settings very easily. You also don't have to wait for an entire directory to load before working on a single image.</p>

<p>Thank you guys. I read somewhere that Nikon developed or is upgrading some software or converter to make specifically the D810 images look even better, minimize high ISO grain etc. Anyone heard of anything like that or which coverer this might be? I composite images and need to daily quickly browse through thousands of images, which crashes Capture one repeatedly. Previews take forever to load (I use PhaseOne IQ180). Caputure one is really only good when you know exactly where the file you want to process is. Photoshop Bridge is fast and smooth and the raw converter intuitive, but at the same time I want the best conversion possible. Never used lightroom, and don't feel motivated to learn a 3rd program unless it's superior in some regard. </p>

<p>The only Nikon software that could match your description is Capture NX-D; since it's free, why not give it a try?<br>

The issues you describe with CaptureOne I've had; it was solved resetting the NTFS permissions (windows specific file access right settings) on my files; once those were all set back to default, the catalog stopped crashing. If you're on Windows, worth trying.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>I have a question, I have been a canon fan for years, but recently acquire a Nikon D810 with a couple of AF-S ED lenses. First problem out of the gate is vignetting when lenses are used wide open..Nikon advises that this is normal and to avoid using wide open, so why am I paying extra for a fast lens? Second is normally I process using PS CS6 or CC, never had a problem with CR2 canon RAW files, but NIKON NEF RAW do not turn out as well. recently I took similar images using Canon and the D810 and Canon 7D II Canon was at ISO 2000 Nikon was at ISO 400. Canon image turned out far superior, sharper and little noise No extra noise reduction software used on either image, Now comes the question is there a "special"way I need to handle NIKON NEF files?</p>