Wide lens with 6x7 view camera

ken_dunn1

<p>I have an old Linholf Technika with a 6x7 adapter which works great with my 90, 150, and 240 4x5 lenses, but I don't have any wide angle options for the roll film back. Looking around about the widest I see is around 65mm and really want something more like a 50, but not sure if the camera can handle that and if anything is even available. I am not about trying to adapt something, so tell me what your set up is?</p>

<p>I guess I should have listed a budget, I was looking for something reasonable like a few hundred bucks, these things sell new for a few grand, and used looks like a grand still won't touch. I think I could fab a lensboard if I could come up with a lens. I have a mig and not afraid to use it!</p>

<p>I guess I should have listed a budget, I was looking for something reasonable like a few hundred bucks, these things sell new for a few grand, and used looks like a grand still won't touch. I think I could fab a lensboard if I could come up with a lens. I have a mig and not afraid to use it!</p>

There are multiple 47mm Schneider XL Super Angulons on eBay in the $700-950.00 range, but if that is too much there is

also at least one of the older f/8 Super-Angulons available with a current bid of less than $12.00 and a little over a day to

go. While it won't cover 4x5 it will easily cover 6x9cm and perhaps even 6x12cm.

There are also multiple recessed Technika or Technika compatible recessed lens boards on eBay for as little as $25.00

up to as much as you want to pay.

<p>A key question is how short a lens you can focus on your 4 x 5 Technika, even with a recessed board or the uncommon Linhof wide-angle attachment. From <a href="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-20042.html"> this thread on another site</a> it sounds like the limit may be around 55mm. Bob Salomon will know-- he's a Linhof expert who posts on the LF forum. Message him if he doesn't see this thread.</p>

<p>If you're determined to do a lot of really wide stuff, I wonder if it might be easier and cheaper to get a dedicated camera for that purpose, maybe a plain-vanilla SLR like an RZ67, if you don't need movements. Tell us what you end up doing.</p>

<p>I have a camera that can shoot wide, its just wanting to make life a little simpler. Thanks for the heads up on the 47, I'm going to bid on that for sure and then see what I can do to make it work, has to be a way. Lens board to ground glass looks to be about 50mm, so if I could get it back there just 10mm or so I should at least get some focus ability</p>

<p>I'll stick my big nose in again, although I wasn't asked. The lens on ebay is a 47/8, which was the first incarnation of the Super-Angulon. That one is from 1965, and it has been salvaged from a Graflex XLSW camera. It looks like it's seen a lot of use, but maybe the glass and shutter are good. I wouldn't make too high an offer.</p>

<p>It will probably be fine-- I've never used an f/8 Super-Angulon-- but don't be disappointed if you don't get this one. The later versions of the S-A are said to be better lenses, and it may be worth looking for one of those, if you're certain you want to go as short as 47. </p>

<p>There were two 47/5.6 lenses (a single-coated lens in 00 shutter, and a MC lens in 0 shutter) and you may be able to find a decent copy at a fair price if you're patient. I have the single-coated version, a 1973 lens, and I paid about $350 for it ten years ago. The later 47/5.6 S-A XL lenses are going for around $1100 which sounds like a good price if you have the cash. The XL would cover 4 x 5.</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd just get a 50/4.5 ULD for my RZ. Modern lens, floating element, modern multicoatings-- currently about $500 used, which is a ridiculous deal. But YMMV. Tell us what you end up doing-- good luck.</p>

<p>Relatively inexpensive lenses interestingly shorter than 90 mm that will cover 6x7?</p>

<p>65/6.8 Angulon and Raptar. Different designs, very similar performance. Sold for 6x9 but marginal coverage on that format, will be fine for 6x7. </p>

<p>65/8 Super Angulon and Ilex (Acugon, Accuwide, ...). The Ilex is an f/8 SA clone.</p>

<p>As mentioned above, 58/5.6 Konica Hexanon/Omegon for Koni Omega. Also 60/5.6 Konica Hexanon for Koni Omega. These lenses have to be reshuttered before they can be used on any camera but a K-O, an additional expense. They won't go into a press shutter, the rear cell will hit the diaphragm.</p>

<p>AFAIK there are no shorter relatively inexpensive lenses that you can use. Sorry, that's how things are. </p>

<p>53/4 SA and 53/4.5 Biogon. When I asked the late Charlie Barringer whether I should buy a 53 Biogon in a so-so shutter (the price was below market for a good 'un) he remarked that he had a 47 SA as well as several 53 Biogons and that I'd probably be happier with a 47 SA than with a 53 Biogon. I am very happy with my 47/5.6 SA.</p>

<p>50/6.3 Mamiya for Mamiya Press.</p>

<p>There are 50 mm lenses for Bronica GS-1 and Mamiya RB/RZ. Since I shoot 2x3 (6x9 in metric), not 6x7, I've never looked into adapting any of them to my 2x3 Graphics. I suspect that these lenses will have to be reshuttered before they can be used on anything but the cameras they're made for, could be mistaken.</p>

<p>47/8 SA and Ilex (not common). 47/5.6 SA. Cover 6x9.</p>

<p>45/4.5 Biogon. Very uncommon, ~ 100 made. Covers 6x7.</p>

<p>35/4.5 Apo Grandagon.</p>

<p>I didn't mention short lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider that cover 4x5. Their prices are much higher than your upper limit. By all accounts fine lenses, though.</p>

<p>If you want to shoot 6x7 or 6x9 (true size 2.25" x 3.25", called 2x3 in Amurrica) and are up for replacing y'r Linhof, the Century Graphic is a good choice. Relatively inexpensive, integral Graflok back, can be used with lenses as short as the 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. I use a 35 Apo Grandy, 38/4.5 Biogon, 47/5.6 SA, 60/5.6 K H, 60/14 Perigraphe (darker, better), 65/8 Ilex, ... on mine. I have a 45/9 CZJ Goerz Dagor (uncommon) that works but that vignettes on 2x3 so lives in the drawer.</p>