Nikon D800 firmware update problem

Ian Rance

<p>I was wondering if Nikon is able to send the firmware updates to customers without needing to download from their website?<br>

I have tried their update several times over the past few days but all that is extracted is a VLC media file (ending in the .bin). This media file does not update the camera (I did try putting it on a card). I don't even have VLC on my computer!<br>

In the past I have never had any problems but something has changed so I am looking at alternative ways of getting the update. The other option is to take it into a service centre but that means over £30 of travel costs.<br>

Thank you for any input.</p>

<p>I understand you might have used a Nikon Europe web site earlier, but have you followed the same procedure as this on Nikon USA's web site: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19004/~/d800-firmware-a%3A-1.10-%2F-b%3A1.10</p>

<p>I downloaded it and got an F-D800-V110W.exe files that is 10,349,912 bytes on a Windows PC. You run that and it'll create a D80Update folder with a D800_0110.bin file that is 15.859.842 bytes in size. Can you confirm the size of that bin file?</p>

<p>You then need to copy that bin file into the top, upper most directory/folder (in computer science, we call that the root directory) of a clean memory card.</p>

<p>If you have a D800, please make sure that you are not using a file for the D800<strong>E</strong> and vice versa.</p>

<p>Agree with all the above responses. I updated my D800 a few days ago with absolutely no issues at all. As previously stated a dot-BIN file shouldn't be associated with or need VLC player. I doubt it would really help if Nikon sent you the file direct Ian. Once it was on your computer you'd have the same problem with the computer attempting to open the file using an incorrect program.</p>

<p>BTW. It appears that the card used for update doesn't need to be blank. With every previous update I have used a freshly formatted card. This time (being lazy) I just copied the update folder to the root of the card that I'd been using in the camera - complete with DCIM folder containing pictures. The update went ahead without a hitch. The update process does need a reasonably well-charged battery before it'll go ahead though. If the camera detects a low battery it won't allow the update to start, or asks for the camera to be connected to an external power supply.</p>

<p>It's not abnormal for BIN files to be associated with VLC (BIN files are often DVD images, which can be played directly in VLC), so it's not weird, wrong or a sign of trouble.<br>

Just follow Shun's steps; you do not have to do anything to that BIN file on your PC other than copy it to the SD card. So whether the file is registered to VLC or not, it doesn't matter at all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have tried their update several times over the past few days but all that is extracted is a VLC media file (ending in the .bin). This media file does not update the camera (I did try putting it on a card).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As pointed out above, the .bin file is the one to COPY to your card. No need to OPEN it.<br>

The most common mistake made when updating firmware is putting this .bin file in some subfolder on the card (been there; done that). Be certain it is copied to the root directory: "X:\" where X is the drive letter associated with your card reader.</p>

<p>While it is not necessary to use a clean memory card for the firmware transfer, a common mistake is indeed not putting that binary (bin) file at the top-most folder level. Therefore, if you format the card first, the only place you can put the bin file is the very top level.</p>

<p>Another common error is for us D800E users. The D800 firmware upgrade does not work on the D800E. While those are almost identical cameras, Nikon supplies different upgrades. It is less common that people incorrectly use the D800E upgrade on the D800, but that is something to double check.</p>

<p>Another thought about your failed update Ian. The update has to be on the <em>primary</em> card of the camera. Check the menu item that sets "use CF or SD card first". Whatever is set as the first card; that's the card that needs the update (D800_0110.bin) file written to it.</p>

Thanks for the help. I just tried the USA version of the update and get the same problem.

What happens is the update file turns into a traffic cone symbol and the camera does not

recognize it. I did download the correct version - and I've done quite a few in the past

successfully - but not this one.

As the camera seems to work fine I really probably don't need the update urgently - I have

had the green light staying on problem but a quick power cycle clears that.

<p>Ian, the traffic cone (VLC icon) means nothing. I do have VLC installed on my machine - best free media player out there IMHO - and I get the same Icon next to my Nikon update. Once transferred to the camera card the update file should work fine with the camera, since the camera knows nothing about VLC or whatever other file associations your computer has.</p>

<p>If the VLC icon worries you, you can get rid of it by right-clicking on the .bin file and selecting "Properties". You'll then see a dialogue box that says "Opens with:". To the right of that is a blue box that says "Change", where you can select another program to open .bin files. Just select Notepad and the cone icon will go away.</p>

Thanks Rodeo - I agree about VLC being an excellent player as it has played every file I have thrown at it. I deleted from

my system to see if that eliminated the traffic cone symbol but it didn't.

I'll have another try later (I don't like to give up). Thanks again.

<blockquote>

<p>While it is not necessary to use a clean memory card for the firmware transfer, a common mistake is indeed not putting that binary (bin) file at the top-most folder level. Therefore, if you format the card first, the only place you can put the bin file is the very top level.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Shun,<br /> Unfortunately not the case, at least with my D800. See screengrab of card just after formatting it in the camera. Note the presence of the DCIM folder under NIKON D800 (E:). A common mistake is to save the bin file into the DCIM folder. It must be saved in NIKON D800 (E:).</p><div>00ccYl-548766184.jpg.580da246d2eddcadaae74dc340874dae.jpg</div>

<p>If you downloaded the update file from Nikon USA you also had the option to download the detailed instructions for installing the update. The instructions are well detailed and easy to follow to get a successful update. It appears you are not doing this.</p>

<p>I updated my D800 last month and I think you're making it difficult on yourself. Lots of good advice offered by forum members. As for the VLC file I get it everytime I've upgraded the firmware on all of my Nikon cameras including the D300s, D700 and D800.<br /><br /></p>

<p>Success! It appeared that my laptop was adding something to the filename upon extraction and turning it into something the camera could not see. Using the computer at work resulted in a nice unmangled .bin file. I have just updated the camera with no problem.<br>

Thank you again for the advice - much appreciated.</p>