Suggestion to consider, starting September 1st

Bill C1664885404

<p>Alex S. initiates 'Canon FD Photo of the Month threads' each month...and per his definition it's for photos taken with any / all Canon FD equipment, and not limited only to the use of older Canon FD film camera bodies.</p>

<p>Thought occurred to me that anyone who's interest is strictly in the use of older Canon FD film camera bodies could take it upon themselves to begin a similar series of monthly threads...clearly stating the intention is only for photos taken with Canon FD lenses on older Canon FD film camera bodies. That might create a best of both worlds sort of outcome.<br /> <br /> I'm not interested in doing that because of the "been there, done that" reality from back in the '80's.<br />And at age 69, I'm interested in experiencing as many new things as I can before I check out...one of which is improving my photgraphy in retirement still using my entire inventory of manual Canon FD lenses that happen to work perfectly on a Sony NEX-7, without the huge film costs involved in the fixed income of retirement.</p>

<p><strong> Who's willing to volunteer to initiate such a monthly Canon FD Film Camera Only activity thread?</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

<strong> </strong></p>

<p>I would include Canon FD lenses with Canon camera as well as cameras by other makers with appropriate adapters, film and digital. I use FD lenses with Canon converter B on Leica rangefinder because the lenses make infinity. I'll admit there is no rangefinder coupling but hyperfocal distance works fine with normal, wide and superwide FD optics. Telephotos require handheld rangefinder and telephoto zoom finder/viewer.</p>

<p>

I would include Canon FD lenses with Canon camera <strong><em>as well as cameras by other makers with appropriate adapters, film and digital</em></strong>.
<br>

Well, I happen to agree...and basically understand that's the way the forum is currently operating.<br>

I just posted the suggestion of a unique monthly thread in case there might be a few who only wanted to deal with older Canon FD film cameras, nothing modern / digital...but one of them needs to step up and invest their time in it...like Alex S. does for the monthly "Canon FD Photos of the Month" threads.</p>

<p>Let me clarify. I stated in the August Canon FD POM that I was only the OP and not a moderator. Since no moderator intervened I took it upon myself to say that anything related to FD was welcomed. This is all I could do. I certainly did not have the authority to restrict anyone. To have remained silent would have been to sow confusion.<br /> <br /> If anyone wants to start a purist analogue FD photo of the month or the week or whatever, it is their freedom to do so. How one guarantees that only genuine Canon FD cameras and lenses are used is beyond me.</p>

<p>Anyway, I'll open up the September Canon FD with the assumption that anything connected with Canon FD is welcomed.</p>

<p>As an aside: I am excited by how the mirrorless digital revolution has revitalized the use of Canon FD lenses.</p>

<p>Not that there would be any reason to stop a pure analog POW thread. There really isn't enough traffic in the current POW thread to warrant a need to separate out what media the photo is captured on.</p>

<p>Alex you do as you have been doing and it will be good.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

Alex S.<br />Anyway, I'll open up the September Canon FD with the assumption that anything connected with Canon FD is welcomed.
<br />By all means, please do...and I hope my post was clear that the suggestion was not about taking the place of your trend at all.</p>

<p>

<br />As an aside: I am excited by how the mirrorless digital revolution has revitalized the use of Canon FD lenses.<br />
<br>

Best thing since sliced bread...am SO glad I kept all my 80's FD lenses carefully stored away all the years while I chased a career...just couldn't believe that the market of millions of Canon FD lenses in closets all over the world wouldn't be addressed some day / some how by somebody and Sony sure hit one out of the park with their APS-C mirrorless NEX line a few years ago.<br>

And the fact that I can only use them in manual mode on the NEX-7, as if they were still attached to the A1's I used to have, is actually great...like picking up where I left off but without the constant film costs...win-win all the way around for me.</p>

<p>OK ... so I've been reading/learning on this forum for several years and perhaps it's time for me to step up and agree to contribute on a monthly basis. I have too many FD bodies which don't see enough use. It's a pretty low-risk venture to offer up a thread every month for people to post photos to: even with the caveats suggested.</p>

<p>I really have no dog in this "digital-with-FD-lens vs. Canon FD body-with-FD-lens" fight but I do see this as an opportunity for me to make myself shoot more film on my FD bodies. Mine are great cameras -- most have been CLA'd over the past three years -- and I should shoot them more.</p>

<p>SO ... Mark W is the moderator so I'll wait for his nod on this but starting Sept 1, I'd like to offer up a POTM with the stipulation that photos posted have to be shot on a Canon FD body with an FD lens. As there are many third-party lenses in the FD family, there is no stipulation the lens must be Canon branded.</p>

<p>If the only photos posted are mine, well, there's your answer on the interest of a "pure" FD photo thread. No harm in trying.</p>

Thank you for your support, Mark.

And thank also to Bill C. and everyone else.

Suddenly a lot of creative energy has been generated regarding posting FD images and that is really fantasic. Open all

the floodgates and what happens. Most importantly: have fun!