New to me, used F2AS question

kirk_wythers

<p>I picked up a nice F2AS yesterday to replace a "dead beyond economic sense to repair" FM. I have a question for the F2 users here. <br>

1. Can anyone tell me what the little window in front of the external exposure led on top of the find is (on an F2A i think you see a meter needle here)?<br>

2. Does the external exposure indicator only activate when the eye piece shutter is in the "closed" position?<br>

3. Lastly, I notice a few long exposure markings in orange on the exposure knob. I'm not sure how you are supposed to use them. The know does not appear to turn that far.<br>

Thanks in advance for any insights. </p>

<p>1. The windows is for light from top to backlit the shutter speed in viewfinder. If you cover that the shutter speed is hard to see.<br>

2. It've been so long but I believe it only works when the viewfinder blind is closed.<br>

3. You have to decouple the shutter dial from the meter to camera to meter. To set the actual shutter speed you use the self timer and the T position on the shutter release guard. All F2 can do this long exposure but only the S, SB and AS can meter down to 8 sec. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"on an F2A i think you see a meter needle here?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, you do. As explained in the Mir site manual the external meter LED is only activated with the viewfinder blind closed. Furthermore, it's advisable to always use the viewfinder blind when you're metering with your eye away from the finder, such as when the camera is being used on a tripod and fired with a cable-release. Nikon's metering systems are all quite sensitive to light entering the eyepiece, from the early Photomic finders right up to modern DSLRs.</p>

<p>Another tip; if the camera has been out of use for some time, then the self-timer may have become sluggish and inaccurate. Best to work it a few times and actually time it before relying on it to give those long exposure delays. The seconds indication markers around the self-timer lever are only a rough guide in any case.</p>

<p>Good luck with your "new" camera Kirk. I've used F2s for many years without a single fault or hitch - apart from when I tried to use the awful MD-3 winder on one. Don't even go there!</p>

<p>Manuals are also available at Butkus's admirable site:<br>

e.g.,<br>

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_f2_finder_dp2/nikon_f2_finder_dp-2.htm <br>

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_f2a_photomic/nikon_f2a_photomic.htm<br>

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_f2_photomic/nikon_f2_photomic.htm </p>

<p>and others - Butkus gives the official Nikon manuals for which the MIR site manual is an extension.</p>

• 2 months later...