Metz 403 Question

User_502260

<p>I have a Metz 403 which I have not used for years. It is powered by a 510 violt battery. The last time I looked for one the 510 volt battery was available from very few dealers and was expensive. Would it be possible to use a rechargeable battery with the same dimensions as the 510 volt, like one from Sunpak? Most of these are probably long out of use but I could conceivably disassemble the rechargeable battery and put in new cells. Is there any other practical way to power the 403?</p>

<p>My initial thought was to use a Quantum Turbo but their web site says they don't have a cable to match the Metz 400 series. Ironic, since they do have cables for Honeywell Strobonars and others that used 510-volt batteries.<br /><br />If you have or can find a rechargeable battery pack that worked with the Metz, putting in new cells is very doable. I've re-celled a number of things, from computers to battery packs for video lights.</p>

<p>The Sunpak rechargeable HV battery is actually an inverter circuit and set of low-voltage NiCd cells in a plastic container the same size as an old 510v dry battery. It has 10 AA sized tag-ended cells inside, which are readily available and fairly easily replaced. Recycle time when used with a Sunpak AZ3600 is around 4 seconds between full power flashes.</p>

<p>The original NiCds fitted in the Sunpak "battery" are only 600mAH cells. If replaced with modern 1200mAH or higher capacity NiMH cells, then the useable time between charges is much extended. However, the Sunpak flashes that it was designed to be used with require only an input of around 360 volts, so whether the Sunpak unit would drive a Metz 403 is another question. I don't see why it shouldn't, but it's something you'd probably have to take a chance on.</p>