Fuji XT1 AF tracking performance

<p><a href="http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/the-fuji-x-t1-af-tracking-performance-how-good-is-it/">here's</a> a report on the tracking performance of the XT1. this is one of the key features of the camera, and one that could be the deal-sealer or the deal-breaker for action/sports shooters. reportedly, the XT1 has 49 AF points and 9 PDAF points which it uses in AF-C/CH mode. It's worth noting that Dan Bailey is shooting here mainly in good light (with the 55-200 zoom), and that the XT1 won't be as good in dimmer conditions, but then, the same could be said of just about any camera. (one annoying thing about my D3s, an otherwise great low-light shooter, is the lack of an AF assist lamp, which the XT1 has,as well as what appears to be the best hi-ISO performance of any APS-C camera to date).</p>

<p>this of course comes as good news for those wondering if the XT1 can be a sports/action camera solution. Fuji obviously designed it to work with its heftier lenses, such as the 18-55, 55-200 and upcoming 50-140/2.8 and 16-50/2.8. the XE2's slimmer profile probably makes it a better choice for street photography.</p>

<p>reading this and other reviews of the XT1, the camera seems to be the high-performance body that Fuji has never quite had.</p>

<p>as noted in other threads, it also appears to address a market segment which has been ignored by nikon, high-end APS-C. Nikon has been making APS-C bodies since the D1 in 1999, and has only made 1 (one) 'pro' DX lens (the 17-55/2.8) in all that time. Fuji's 18-55 and 55-200 zooms may not be pro-spec, but they're a cut above kit lenses both in terms of build and IQ. what's more, fuji also has a full range of high-performance primes (21/2.8,35/1.4,50/1.4,and 90/2.4 FLE), plus two pancake lenses (28/2 and 41/2.8 FLE) -- all with metal bodies, compared to the plastic build of Nikon's budget 1.8 G primes -- at comparable prices.</p>

<p>with the XT1, the new 56/1.2 and 10-24/4 and expected arrival of their weather-sealed 18-135 and 2.8 zooms later this year, it's clear that Fuji has thrown down the gauntlet. looking over the XT1's specs and their lens roadmap, one wonders if Fuji specifically targeted Nikon's weaknesses, i.e. no true pro-spec DX body, no commitment to high-end DX lenses (Nikon's 58/1.4 is $1700 and aimed at FX, despite a focal length more suited to DX; the widest DX prime you can get for Nikon is the 35/1.8), and no clear upgrade path for d300/d300s users left high and dry by the d7000 and d7100 (unless you consider the $6000 FX D4 a logical upgrade). The Fuji X forum is already filled with reports of folks dumping Canon and Nikon gear (and m4/3) for the XT1, a buzz which will almost certainly grow louder as more reviews appear. Clearly, the XT1 is the "hot body" du jour, and poised to make a splash, if not be an absolute game-changer. (I'm personally hanging on to my Nikon stuff for the moment, but i do plan on getting an XT1 at some point,at which point i'll re-evaluate my commitment to Nikon.)</p>

<p>It's worth noting Nikon has already responded to Fuji's previous trendsetting body, the x100/x100s, with the Df--yet that seems to have been the wrong response. So, the question remains, will Nikon get the memo this time?</p>

<p>Interesting thoughts, Eric. For whatever reason, I've never really taken any note of the Fuji line-up. A quick drill-down at B+H's site reveals some interesting glass for this product: an f/1.4, 35mm-equivalent (the Fuji XF 23mm f/1.4), and an f/1.2, 85mm-equivalent (the Fuji XF 58mm f/1.2). Wow! I'm sold! If I were starting all over again, and were choosing to build a crop-frame system, the Fuji XT-1 would likely be first on my list. However, while Fuji has an impressive array of pancakes, ultra-wides, macros, and short-teles, what do Fuji owners do when they need a lens longer than 58mm, yet faster than f/4.8 or f/6.7?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>what do Fuji owners do when they need a lens longer than 58mm, yet faster than f/4.8 or f/6.7?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>it's true the 55-200 is 4.8 @ 200mm--which is already faster than the 5.6 standard for consumer telephotos and kit zooms. but to answer your question, if you check out the <a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/">fuji lens roadmap</a>, they have a 50-140/2.8 OIS coming later this year, which is going to be a more compact, weather-sealed version of a 70-200/2.8. note that this focal length is exactly what Nikon DX users don't have in an OEM version--70mm on DX as a starting point is sometimes too long, especially for indoors.</p>

<p>this is going to be a game changer for fuji. i say that because i have the discontinued sigma 50-150/2.8 non OS, which is a very versatile lens for Nikon DX, mainly because it's compact and light enough for travel and hiking. that's a great lens on the d300s, with comparable optics to the 70-200VR, but the d300s is an aging body that's never properly been updated and is challenged at high-ISO compared to the current generation of bodies. the OS version adds the stabilization missing from the original, yet also adds significant length, so you lose the compactness which is really a shame, because it's no longer svelte enough to be a travel lens.</p>

<p>back to the fuji: with the XT1 just shipping now, it makes sense that the 50-140 will arrive later this year. it wouldnt have made any sense to release this lens prior to the availability of the XT1 (and grip) as none of the current fuji bodies will balance well with it, and none have vertical grips available, either.</p>

<p>the appeal of a compact, pro-spec tele is obvious: you can forget traveling with a 70-200/2.8 on an FX body, unless you're working a gig or delight in scaring small children and marking yourself as a potential theft victim.</p>

<p>the 50-140 competes directly with the m4/3 pro-spec telephotos -- i.e. panasonic 35-100/2.8 and just-announced olympus 40-150/2.8 -- which do have a size and weight advantage over their FX counterparts. combined with the 10-24/4 and 16-55/2.8, we will soon have an X mount "holy trinity" -- 3 zooms which can cover 15-210mm equivalents, most likely at prices much lower than what nikon and canon charge for their pro zooms, in addition to the weight savings. that puts fuji right into the thick of the leading edge of where digital photography is going--hi-end mirrorless bodies with high-quality lenses.</p>

<p>also note that fuji also is coming out with a "super telephoto zoom lens" which could be something like a 100-300 equivalent, hopefully with a constant f/4 or maybe even faster. the mockup picture indicates it has a tripod collar, which means either a fast lens and/or a long zoom range. the roadmap also has a "high speed wide angle lens" which is probably going to be a 16/1.4 (24mm equiv.), since fuji already has 14, 18, and 23mm primes.</p>

<p>the fuji lens lineup is a big reason why i decided to invest in the system. though fuji still only has 12 lenses (including the two plastic build, consumer grade XC zooms and not including the 3 announced, 2 released zeiss tout lenses), so far they've come out with the <em>right</em> lenses--that 56/1.2 is droolworthy and the 14mm has extremely little distortion--as well as a roadmap which shows a commitment to allowing photographers to build a competent system according to their needs. the same cant really be said of Sony's E-mount or FE-mount, and while m4/3 does have a wider array of lenses, the smaller sensor means less DR and poorer hi-ISO.</p>

<p>i wouldnt be surprised to see fuji (or zeiss) eventually fill in all the major gaps in the system; now that they've addressed the zooms, we'll probably see a 135 portrait lens (hopefully f/2 or faster and with OIS), and beyond that, i'd love to see a AF fisheye (MF 3rd party is already available) and, let's see... a 70mm stabilized macro capable of 1:1. :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Eric said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>. . . with the XT1 just shipping now, it makes sense that the <strong>[50-140mm f/2.8]</strong> will arrive later this year . . . combined with the 10-24/4 and 16-55/2.8, we will soon have an X mount "holy trinity."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now, <em>that's</em> what I'm talking about! I would trade <em>all</em> of my Nikon DX gear for that set-up in a heartbeat! (Unfortunately, I own <em>four</em> DX lenses, all purchased <em>before</em> I thought I was eventually going to convert to all-FX when shooting for-hire).</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>. . . i have the discontinued sigma 50-150/2.8 non OS, which is a very versatile lens for Nikon DX, mainly because it's compact and light enough for travel and hiking. </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have a similar set-up for my Nikon D7000--the, also discontinued, Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 <em>non-stabilized</em> zoom. While certainly functional when wanting to carry light, it does feel a bit clunky. And, in the world of all of these modern, high-performance compacts, <em>dated</em>, even. A snazzy new PDAF/CDAF-focusing, APS-C mirrorless body with some of that fast Fuji glass would suit me far better when wanting to travel light. I'm really starting to like Fuji!</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>the fuji lens lineup is a big reason why i decided to invest in the system. though fuji still only has 12 lenses (including the two plastic build, consumer grade XC zooms and not including the 3 announced, 2 released zeiss tout lenses), so far they've come out with the <strong>right</strong> lenses--that 56/1.2 is droolworthy and the 14mm has extremely little distortion.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly! I totally agree with you about Fuji coming out with the "right" lenses. Fuji appears to have <em>the</em> most desirable lens line-up of all right now. Sony E-mounts for NEX have been out for four years now, and still, the product line is missing <em>many</em> of the "right" lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would trade <em>all</em> of my Nikon DX gear for that set-up in a heartbeat!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nikon DX seemed so promising 5-6 years ago, but the direction it's taken is discouraging. i still have my d300s as it's a great PJ camera but still big for travel as well as a d90 and a bunch of DX lenses: sigma 17-50/2.8 OS, sigma 50-150/2.8, tokina 35/2.8 macro, sigma 30/1.4, nikon 35/1.8, tokina 12-24/4, and 18-70/3.5-4.5. i would have let those go after getting a D3s, but the reality is that a big heavy pro camera just isn't suited for traveling light (except maybe when mounted with a single prime) and sometimes i needed to have two bodies. but there's not really too much there that the fuji system can't do, except 1:1 macro. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>A snazzy new PDAF/CDAF-focusing, APS-C mirrorless body with some of that fast Fuji glass would suit me far better when wanting to travel light. I'm really starting to like Fuji!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>one of the things i really appreciate about Fuji, and a feature that is overshadowed by some of the headline bells and whistles, is the AF array. basically it stretches across the entire frame, allowing me to set the focus point almost anywhere. that's one of the weaknesses of Nikon FX; with the D3s, most of the available focus points are clumped toward the center, which kind of forces you to focus and recompose more often than you'd like, and isn't always convenient when shooting moving subjects (the d300s actually has a wider array and pretty good AF, though not as good as the D3s at tracking). so that's a big reason for me to drool over the XT1 (besides the form factor, dials, and all the other cool stuff).</p>

<p>the new focus tracking on the XT1 certainly raises the bar on the CDAF-only XE1 (which i have) and the PDAF/CDAF XE2, but what is equally important is the shooting experience, which is different because it does away with the PASM mode dial and front/rear control dials. shutter and aperture are set manually, which does make for a more intuitive feel, especially when you factor in the WYSIWYG display in the EVF/LCD. with the DSLRs, there's always a bit of guesswork involved, as far as what the final image capture is going to look like.</p>

<p>anyway, the real benefit to me is to have, eventually, a compact 2-body system with just the 'right' lenses that's deployable in a variety of situations. an XE with a pancake is gonna be a super-stealth option, while an XT1 with the 40-150 can do everything from events to sports to portraits. Definitely holding on to the Nikon FX gear for now, though.</p>

<p>I'm waiting for more X-T1 reviews beyond those from privileged Fuji spokesmen and simple rehashes of roll-out press kits. Nearly all evaluations to date have been "hands-off." Looking forward to the product actually hitting the market and to thorough test drives.</p>

<p> C Watson, there were a few hands-on reviews photo.net wouldn't let me link to. But i'm also awaiting more reviews. it's pretty early in the XT1's product cycle. i for one hope there will be more evaluation of AF performance in challenging conditions, such as low-light and with moving subjects; unfortunately, we'll have to wait for the 18-135 release to test the weather-sealing as there are no weather-sealed lenses available currently. one of the major concerns i have is battery life, as the camera is only rated for 350 shots. that will make the battery grip essential for pro use; i can easily shoot 700 frames at an event.</p>

<p>I never gave Fuji much thought either. Got the X-10 and it had the orb issue. Fuji replaced the camera. It is a unique P&S and a keeper...so I bought a used X-100...love it...another keeper. Fuji updated the X-100 firmware, in a major way, well after it was discontinued. That's support. So the EX-1 w/18-55 for $719 was snagged along with the 27 pancake and 14. My Pentax gear is on Fleabay. I may get the XT-1 in a year or so.</p>

<p>Eric,<br>

<br /> The 14 is very nice. Appears to be more rectilinear than the Pentax DA 14. I just got it and need to get out and use it a bit more. However, I like using a UWA lens with the EVF. I really like the 27 too. It has been, IMHO, unfairly panned, my copy is quiet and the AF is quick. I am going to hold off on additional lenses for a while. It appears that the motors may be changed/altered to make AF quicker. Fuji brought a lot of gear to market in a short time. ;-)<br>

Fuji interview: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5988185050/fujfilm-interview-the-only-way-is-to-keep-innovating">http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5988185050/fujfilm-interview-the-only-way-is-to-keep-innovating</a></p>

<p>great interview: this quote really stands out: "in the long run customer trust is very important. We’re a relatively new brand and we need to build trust." that's something Nikon has kind of whiffed on of late. knowing that your older/camera lens might get new firmware is a big confidence-booster.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am going to hold off on additional lenses for a while.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i just ordered the 35/1.4, the sale is very tempting as my plan is to build up my fuji lens collection before getting the XT1. i love shooting W/A and was considering a UWA zoom for my FF camera but i think i'll get the 14 instead. waiting on the 27 to come back in stock, at the sale price it's a steal.</p>

<p>I thought the interview was honest and positive.<br /> I want the 35 but heard that the motor and innards will be re-done to address hunting/slow focus complaints. It may not be an issue for you but I'll wait till that is done and there is another sale. The 27 is a good lens and the 14 is top notch.<br>

From a post on another forum:<br>

<strong>The original X-Primes (18, 35, 60) are already beginning to show their age. I go to my local retailer and see lots of used 60s and 35s (not many 18s) and they cannot sell them because according to the manager people are going for the newer ones. This is because the newer generation Fujinons are MUCH more refined, not necc. optically but in their quieter and much more efficient focus and aperture mechanisms., to the point they make the older ones look like clunkers. </strong> <strong>Speaking of clunkers, I had a 35 for one day on my X-E1 and optically it was fine but returned it because it was VERY noisy (sounded like a can opener), slow to focus lock lens with aperture chatter so loud it'd wake the dead--and YES it had the latest f/w installed. Inexcusable for a $599 lens, compared to my 18-55 which is quiet and focus-decisiive. And Ive tried the 14 and 23, MUCH more refined lenses, even the 27 is better. I'm sure the 56 will be the same. </strong> <strong>IMO the three originals need a serious mechanical refresh. Don't mess with the optics, but mechanically they should be on par with the newer releases. It's almost like they were rushed into production a couple years ago to coincide with the X-P1's release, and with the growth of the system, they are looking like less attractive options.</strong></p>

<p>i almost bought a used 35 for $450 so when the new price dropped to that, i jumped on it because i love fast primes and optically it's super well-regarded. cant find an in-stock 27 at the sale price. i dont really need a 60 as i'd rather have the 56/1.2, but at $250 off it's a good deal. if the 35 has the issues mentioned, i'll just return it. the 23 is supposed to be very good, but i also have an x100 so it's not super-high on my list, since that comes with a 35/2.</p>

<p>i hadn't heard about these issues before, but one post on a forum does not an epidemic make. on amazon the 35 has 79% 5-star reviews. the slow focus is mentioned in a few other reviews but most were before the firmware update, and in general this doesnt deter the more credible sites from giving it high marks. the phoblographer said, "<em><strong>It is the lens that is often permanently glued to our cameras and nearly four other editors on this staff have purchased it.</strong></em>"</p>

<p>I hope the 35 meets your expectations. I want one but wanted the 14 more and will have to wait for the next 'sale' to get the 35. Below is a review/compare of the 32mm Touit and the Fuji 35.<br>

<a href="http://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-touit-32mm-f1-8-planar-vs-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-35mm-f1-4/">http://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-touit-32mm-f1-8-planar-vs-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-35mm-f1-4/</a></p>

<p>Another hands-on review here:</p>

<p><a href="

<p>Devlin recaps and expands on this here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fujis__x_t1___the_x_system_comes_of_age.shtml">http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fujis__x_t1___the_x_system_comes_of_age.shtml</a></p>

<p>If you've ever handled a Nikon FG, you're looking at the size of the X-T1.</p>

<p>While I don't believe any of my gear choices in the last 3 years of 'becoming a photographer' have been bad or ill-considered, there is always something else around the corner which is better. I am very glad I never bought a D300S. I have a sneaky suspicion the XT1 plus 50mm equiv. fast lens might be all I need for a very long time. But what to do with my mounting stockpile of camers and lenses?!<br>

I think I might give my Nikon stuff away to a friend; the MILC gear is discrete enough not to be embarassing. </p>

<p>D300s was/is a great camera. i just shot with it this last weekend. the problem is nikon never properly updated it. but if all you need is one lens, there's a lot of options as far as bodies. i'm not sure i wouldnt go for a sony A7+55/1.8, although someone is already selling one to get a fuji on craigslist. to me its all about having a functional system (or two).</p>

<p>Les,<br>

I own an X-E1 and have used the 35/1.4 extensively. While the autofocus is not as fast as on my Canon L lenses, when it locks focus it is very precise. As for sharpness, I enlarged an image shot tripod mounted to 24x36 inches and it was sharp enough to read the license plate on a car one block away. This is a very fine lens if you do not need super-fast focusing. I shot mainly fine-art landscape now, so the focus speed is not an issue for me.<br>

Darron</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>C Watson- If you're looking for a real world analysis of the X-T1, I suggest you <a href="http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/the-fujifilm-x-t1-full-review-and-field-test/">read my X-T1 full review and field test.</a> I can understand not wanting to hear the same rehashed specs and press clippings, but I assure you, I'm hardly a "privileged Fuji spokesman" as you put it. I'm a full time pro shooter who has put the X-T1 through two months of real world use in a variety of extreme conditions and wrote an honest review of the camera's capabilities. In fact, having gotten one of the very first models, I've put the X-T1 through more abuse than just about anyone. </p>

<p>Yes, it's true that Fuji brought me on board as an early tester of the camera since it fits well with my style of photography, but they don't pay me to say nice things about their gear. They expect me to use the stuff as intended and give my honest evaluations, which is what I did in my review. I just happen to think that Fuji hit one out of the park with this camera, hence the overly positive tone in my article! :)</p>

• 3 weeks later...