Hexacon Viewfinder

<p>I acquired a very nice looking Hexacon (with ZI engraved in the front of the penta prism.<br>

The camera seems to be functioning well except when I look through the viewfinder I can see the clear spot in the <br>

center which expands and contracts when changing f stops but outside of that clear area there is a darker area that<br>

takes up the rest of the viewing area when looking through the viewfinder. Any one have any experience with this camera that can enlighten me as to why that area in the viewfinder is dark? </p>

<p>The lens on the camera is the Hexatar 45mm f/2.8 Munchen.<br>

The aperture settings are from 2.8 to 16. When I manually turn the aperture ring the area that is<br>

clear enough to focus on changes from very small at f/16 to a larger clear area at f/2.8.<br>

OUtside of that clear area it is dark.</p>

<p>The lens on the camera is the Hexatar 45mm f/2.8 Munchen.<br>

The aperture settings are from 2.8 to 16. When I manually turn the aperture ring the area that is<br>

clear enough to focus on changes from very small at f/16 to a larger clear area at f/2.8.<br>

OUtside of that clear area it is dark.</p>

<p>The Hexacon is a relabeled Pentacon F or FM, the later models of the Contax D. As such it uses a field condenser lens and it sounds as if the the screen assembly has been fiddled with. If you look at the underside of the screen, through the lens throat, you should see the ground glass surface. If not, the glass may have been replaced upside down.</p>

<p>H. P.<br>

When I look through the viewfinder onto the screen what I'm seeing is a dark rectangle with a light spot in the middle (aperture opening) and I can see light on both the top and bottom and both sides of the dark screen. That's about the best explanation that I can come up with. </p>