Monitor and Color Calibration Purchase

<p>Hello to all!<br>

I am a middle aged “student” of photography and I am looking to purchase a reasonably priced 24” wide gamut monitor. After doing some preliminary research it occurred to me that prior to my monitor purchase I needed to take stock of what I anticipate my photo editing requirements are for not only now but also for about five years or so into the future. In the short term I would like to get myself set up with a color managed workflow, and would like to do so in a manner such that I minimize my exposure to planned obsolescence or marketing arrangements designed to get consumers to continually spend more money on devices to maintain their color management every time they buy a new monitor, computer (graphics card or operating system), or printer. By color management I mean to say that I would like a software/hardware product for use in calibrating my monitor, and for use in calibration/color management of a future printer purchase (I imagine something along the lines of ColorMunki Photo). Prior to my printer purchase it is my intent that I be able to calibrate my monitor, obtain appropriate ICC profiles from various internet based photo printing companies, soft proof in Lightroom, and see how I make out in terms of the prints matching my expectations. Several years ago I purchased a Spyder 3 Pro – I realize this product has worked wonderfully for many people, but I am of the percentage that has had a horrible experience, therefore reasonably or unreasonably I would rather not purchase a Spyder again. That brings me to my current position in my monitor search. Though I don’t need the best and nor can I afford it, I would like to make my purchase intelligently and get the best value for my money. I was ready to settle on the Dell U2413, my sense was that it suited my needs in terms of image quality, but after reading a review of it I became quite concerned about the color management aspect of my “plan”. It appears that the Dell U2413 can be calibrated by various software packages, but the monitor’s hardware component will only allow it to be calibrated by a specific X-rite product, the i1Display Pro, which I don’t believe is as complete a solution as the ColorMunki Photo. This is explained at the following link:<br>

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2413.htm#hardware_calibration<br>

Essentially, I would have to buy one product to calibrate the monitor only, and then an additional product if I wanted to be able to bring my future printer into the managed workflow, rather than just buy an all-inclusive package from the outset. Obviously the simple answer is to not buy this monitor and move on with my search, which is what I am doing. However, in terms of making my investment and getting my color managed set up started, it gave me pause to try and understand what other pitfalls to be avoided are out there.<br>

My budget is approximately $350 for a software/hardware color management package, and $550 for a 24” wide gamut monitor.<br>

I may have been long winded in getting to the main point of my post which is that I would be very appreciative of any tips or advice from people that have actually gone down the road and got themselves set up with a color managed workflow that includes not just a monitor but a printer also – and I’ll take recommendations for a monitor and a color management package as well.<br>

I’m not a “tech” guy. I could care less about this stuff but for the fact I need to navigate through these waters in order get on with my development and artistic journey in digital photography. Truth be told, I’m a little put off by how complicated this seems to be. I just want to make pictures and have some control over their quality.<br>

Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Camera: Canon 5dMKII and various lenses<br>

Photo software: Lightroom 5<br>

Computer info: Dell Studio XPS 9100, Core i7 CPU, X980 @ 3.33GHz, 9GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit<br>

Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD5770<br>

Monitor: Dell ST2410 (quite poor for photo editing)</p>

<p>I have used an older NEC P221W for several years now and have had only good experience with it. I use the I1Photo for the calibration chores as well as for my printer calibration however this would be outside your calibration budget. That said, I would think the Color Munki should be able to provide the monitor and printer calibration services you want on either the NEC 24 incher or the Dell U2413. I think the only other calibration hardware solution in your budget range would be the Spider which you would rather avoid. The Color Munki seems to be a popular calibration solution and I would be surprised if you don't hear from several people that have used it for calibrating either of these two monitors.</p>

<p>I wouldn't bother with the Spectraview software for the NEC as I didn't think it did the job any better than the profiling software that came with my I1Photo.</p>

<p>Make your life easier and and full control here, get youreslef an NEC SpectraView with their software and a supported device (maybe the NEC bundle). The software controls the hardware like no other software can, taking full advantage of the system. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Howard, Homer, and Andrew, thanks so much for your input. I am going to follow up on what each of you has to say. Just as an FYI this morning I happened to find this article which is very helpful:<br>

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/223/Monitor+Calibrator+Longevity<br>

Actually, the website has a wonderful collection of buying guides, articles, and a knowledge base!<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>You can get NEC PA242W-BK-SV 24" with dedicated hardware calibration solution for couple hundred more than your indicated budget. In return you get possibly the best 24" solution currently available. <br>

The bundled calibrator won't be able to make printer profiles, but I would not worry about it before you get a printer. </p>