Canon 550ex trigger voltage on Fuji X Pro-1?

cliff_henry

<p>I am seeking help. I have three Canon 550EX speedlites and a ST-E2 transmitter that I used when I was shooting weddings professionally. I still use them occasionally on my 7D and G9 for snaps. I recently starting shooting with a Fujifilm X Pro-1 for a lighter kit when traveling.</p>

<p>I recently shot a wedding, as a guest not the paid pro, with the X Pro1 and Fuji's EF-X20 flash and I am unhappy with the results. I'd like to try using the 550EX's either on the X Pro 1 hot shoe or with the ST-E2 or with an OC-E2 cord.</p>

<p><strong>Fuji's manual states not to use any flash units that apply over 300V to the camera hot shoe.</strong></p>

<p>I know there used to be a web site that listed the voltage of many flashes, but I can't locate it on google. I also searched Canon's site and on this site without results.</p>

<p>Can anyone point me to a site that will give me the hot shoe voltage of the 550ex? Would the ST-E2 also apply a voltage to the hot shoe? If so, I also need to find what that voltage is.</p>

<p>Any assistance either from someone's first hand knowledge or pointing me to a site would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Cliff</p>

<p>Unless for some unfathomable reason Fuji have adopted the Canon flash protocol and connections – which I doubt – then there are only two real possibilities.</p>

<ol>

<li>Your 550EX will fire, but in manual settings only.</li>

<li>Because the camera and flash are working with different signal protocols, the outcome could vary from no flash to frying one or both of the camera and flash.</li>

</ol>

<p>In other words, trying to use flash across brands is a Bad Idea, possibly a Very Bad Idea.</p>

<p>It's very very unlikely that trigger voltages in the neighborhood of 5 volts will fry anything. And the likelihood of the camera frying the strobe is nil or less, since the camera doesn't supply any voltage to the strobe.<br>

However, the likelihood of the strobe working at all is slim to none. Robin's #1 scenario is the best case. Worst case is nothing happens at all.<br>

<Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>Thanks for the replies.</p>

<p><strong>John</strong> - the Botzilla site was the one I was searching for - thanks.</p>

<p><strong>Robin & Charles</strong> - my research found that the Canon and Fuji hot shoe pins are compatible and my 550ex's are useable either directly on the hot shoe or with the OC-E2, but you are correct that the flash output will have to be set manually. Actually, Fuji recommends using the Canon OC-E2 with their flash since they don't offer an off camera cord. I expect the ST-E2 will also signal the 550ex to fire since pins are compatible but I haven't found anyone that has tried it so I'll have to test that myself.</p>

<p>Thanks again, PN is the best.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In other words, trying to use flash across brands is a Bad Idea, possibly a Very Bad Idea.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Could you give some documentation on this? I've done it many times without ever having a problem, but am always interested if something can be shown from data or technical evidence to be an issue.</p>