Nikon SB-600 Intermittently Turns Off

john_h.1

<p>I am seeking ideas for why my Nikon SB-600 seems to randomly will not power up or loses power. In fact, it remains without power most of the time. It will start up occasionally and might stay on but, not for long. None of these have made no difference...<br /><br /><br>

Changing cameras<br>

Fresh battery changes<br>

Cleaning battery contacts<br>

Cleaning hot shoe contacts<br />Attaching SB-17 cord<br>

Moving batteries around<br>

Temperature change<br>

Moving swivel and bounce head<br />Pushing buttons/manipulating controls<br />Movements or changing orientation<br>

popping flash when working</p>

<p>Any ideas or concerns before sending out for repair?</p>

<p>If you just have it in your hand, not attached to any camera, does it behave the same way?</p>

<p>If you put it in manual mode you could also fire it with the test button at different power settings. Does 1/64 power make any difference from 1/1 power?</p>

<p>Yeah, I would test the flash with its test button, without mounting it on any camera to isolate the problem.</p>

<p>Since you have changed batteries, your best bet is to clean the battery compartment contacts one more time, especially those deep inside. If that does not solve the problem, as we discussed on this recent thread: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cUXO<br>

it is best to leave any flash repair by trained technicians.</p>

<p>You need to send it in - unless you put the batteries in the wrong way :-)</p>

<p>Since it's the power to the entire flash it's not something in the hotshoe, which you could otherwise remove and check out yourself.</p>

<p>Rest of the stuff is tricky because they are supercompact inside with lots of small mechanical parts as well as electronics. For instance there are 7 small printed circuit boards inside. You need to disassemble and desolder lots of things to get inside. They are simply not made to be repaired.</p>

<p>Have you perhaps used lithiums in it? There is a thermal fuse inside that could possibly have failed. It can also be as simple as a break in one the small power cables from the battery compartment. Either way you need to send it in.</p>

<p>I extra checked that the batteries were put in correctly each time even though it should have never powered up had the placement been wrong. I will check out the link tomorrow and definitely don't plan to mess with intricate systems or open up anything. Thanks guys.<br /><br /> Any repair location suggestions? It was purchased as gray market from B&H. For ten bucks off. I know, I know. At least I had a good run with it.</p>

<p>My only advice is to avoid United Camera in Bensenville, IL. I had a SB600 that did that, sent it to them. They... replaced the flash tube. Even I could tell it wasn't that. So of course, the problem happened again. I sent it to Nikon California and all was repaired properly.</p>

<p>I don't think battery orientation is the issue here, since the OP is already aware of that and if any battery is inserted wrong, the SB-600 wouldn't work completely and the problem should not be intermittent.</p>

<p>But the SB-600 has some unusual battery orientation, so I am attaching an image just in case.</p><div>00cUxe-546928084.jpg.7fcc90b20756ee751b48cb95da28e5e7.jpg</div>

<p>Yes, Greg, the issue is different than the standby mode. The power loss, when and while it occurs, results in a complete system shut down (as though there are no batteries at all) no matter what I do and stand by mode procedures doesn't change that. The only thing I can do now, other than opening the unit, is to vigorously shake it or whack it like an old TV. None of which is going to be attempted.<br /><br />I had KEH in mind and will look in to the other place. Thanks guys.</p>