How customers shop for fine art photography

jonathan_bourla1

<p>Hello! I know this isn't the right forum to ask these questions in, but I mostly use large format in my photography so it felt natural to ask you.</p>

<p>1. I am curious how the average purchaser of gallery quality fine art photographs find the work and photographers in the first place. Do they do, say, an online (Google?) search for fine art photographers and find a photographer they like? Or is the main method to visit an appropriate physical gallery?</p>

<p>2. For a photographer wanting gallery representation in America, is it best to make an approach by email, or is it better to physically turn up at the gallery?</p>

<p>Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.</p>

<p>Jonathan</p>

<p>I don't know the answer myself, so I'm following several folks on Facebook who are savvy about the fine arts scene, both in terms of aesthetics and marketing. If you're on Facebook, I'd recommend following Luis Gottardi (from Tampa, FL). Via articles recommended by Luis, I've found lots of reading that helps with insights into marketing, and connections with other folks who are hip to the fine arts and photography scene.</p>

<p>And social networking is valuable, whether Facebook, Google+ or other. Not just for self promotion but to discover what other folks are doing.</p>

<p>Regarding the specifics of your questions, I've read several contradictory bits of advice from gallery owners and agents on arts websites and blogs. Some seem to prefer the personal approach, while others feel it's intrusive and would prefer email contacts. About the only definitive thing I could take away from the many comments I've read is that they usually recommend against the non-specific scattergun approach. They seem to prefer a cover letter or introductory email that indicates the prospective artist/photographer has actually tried to become familiar with the gallery. But that's pretty much the same advice I've read for years, long before the web was around.</p>

<p>I learned one thing while attempting to sell and selling through art/photography galleries. It is a very good idea to get to know any gallery you want to have sell your photographs. They can go out of business and leave you holding the bag, steal your images, favor their pals and ignore your work. All of this and more has happened to me and I thought I had "scouted" the galleries in question pretty well. I assume most owners are honest but you will have a lot invested -- especially emotionally -- so you need to take care.</p>

<p>Gary, sorry for your experience, but I think you answered a question that wasn't asked. <br /> The OP isn't there yet and has a long way to go. The first step is the most difficult in the process.<br /> In order to have some appeal for gallery owners, I would say that its necessary to participate at different art shows (even group shows). You need to show achievements, awards and maybe a recommendation for a reputable teacher, critic or artist. Most dealers and collectors require some solid "proof" to feel more confidant. Emails, cover (or no cover) letters, are secondary.</p>

<p>Breaking into fine art is about consistently putting out phenomenal work and largely about relationships. So many people tout web / social as the premier manner in which to market but I have to disagree, I prefer to meet people in person and show them the goods, let them touch and feel fine silver gelatin prints, this goes a long, looong way in establishing one's self. Relationships...<br /> Now of course it is best to have web/social covered and ready to go before you walk in the door, but don't expect to get a prime high season show in a gallery by just sending an email off with a link to "Joe-Digital-Software-Developer-By-Day-Fine-Art-Photography" with the all too common base of Smugmug and of course the very amateur page of "What gear I use", you might as well set up a lemonade stand with a side of "Fine Art" in front of Walmart.<br /> Breaking into fine art is tough and that is the way it should be because there is far too much amateur level, oversaturated kitsch out there, no one has time of money for that.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...