Anyone Else Have Problems with Pentax (Canada) Service?

cliff_lesergent

I was curious to know if any other Pentax 645 users have experienced

problems in dealing with Pentax (specifically, Pentax Canada) for

repair service?

I recently had a problem with my Pentax 645N. There is a small screw

and bushing that retains the eyepiece in the body. This screw came

loose and fell out inside the viewfinder, and allowed the viewfinder

eyepiece to back out. The eyepiece can't be re-inserted in the body

with that screw and bushing in place, without removing the top cover

from the body, so the camera had to be sent to Pentax Canada's

serrvice centre in Vancouver. I carefully cleaned and inspected

everything, and packed up all the pieces in separate plastic ziploc

bags, and had my local dealer send it to Pentax. I decided to also

have Pentax program the camera's custom functions while they had it

in the shop.

Well, six weeks later, I recieved the camera, along with a bill for

$350 for replacing the loose screw and programming the custom

functions. It turns out that all they actually did was replace the

screw, as none of the custom functions could be activated. In

addition, it appeared as though someone had stuck a screwdriver

inside the eyepiece tube and twisted it around, leaving some major

scrapes on the inside glass surface of the eyepiece lens. Since I

had carefully inspected and cleaned this before packaging the camera

for shipment, I know for certain that this damage occured after the

camera left my hands.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Pentax is playing dumb

on all of this, and they want the camera back. Can I expect Pentax

to admit to damaging the eyepiece, and replace it, as well as

actually perform the other work they already billed me for, or am I

better off not to waste my time sending the camera back for another

six weeks only to have them bill me for more repairs?

I sent the camera to them to have them fix a loose screw (which

really shouldn't have fallen out in the first place), but I can't

help feeling that I'm the one who got the "screw".

Hi Cliff ...

Pentax is one of the top rated organizations for service. Many "testimonials" on this site as well as others have attested that Pentax will usually go "above and beyond" to satisfy their customers.

I would escalate this situation to the top ... I can only assume that some disgruntled employee has somehow messed up your camera. Completely unacceptable service as is the price.

Ray

Hi, Ray;

I'm not so sure Pentax's service reputation is as high as it once was. A number of the camera stores here in Calgary have either reduced or stopped carrying Pentax products, and service issues seem to be at the forefront of this. It may just be limited to this region of the country, as I can recall other's people's comments in other threads on this forum, praising Pentax (USA).

I had already been thinking about getting out of the Pentax system to move towards a more digital-friendly system, and this incident has pretty much made up my mind for me.

I have nothing but great things to say about Pentax Vancouver. They went so far as to lend me a camera to try for a week when they heard I was thinking of purchasing a 645n. They did the custom features on the one I purchased while I went down the block for a coffee. CLA's have never taken moe than 2 day. They have ALWAYS done right by me. And as far as a loose screw goes, let me tell you a Canon Calgary story. I sent them a 10 QD (a back up with less then 100 rolls through it) a couple of years ago when a screw suddenly appeared while I was changing lenses. The camera stopped autofocusing. Everything else still worked. I let it sit for a year like it was I didn't need it. I finally sent it to Canon Calgary (who have always done and continue to do great work). They repaired it...$300. Yes I agree that these screws should not fall out but every companys products suffer from this. Unfortunately if you want them reinstalled sometimes the whole camera must be peeled apart to get them back in...I think that the $350 may be reasonable, and I think that you should write the manager of Pentax Vancouver a calm, detailed letter. I'm sure the two of you can get this straightened out.

I guess it helps matters greatly if you can walk into the service centre in person. Canon Calgary has often done my repairs while I waited, and their service has always been great (and even the most expensive repairs I've had done, like replacing the AF motor in a 300mm f2.8L lens, never cost anywhere near $300).

Perhaps I'm holding Pentax up to too high a standard, but charging for work they didn't do, and even damaging the camera in the process, is certainly not what I expected.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a similar problem with Pentax USA. My Pentax camera, under warranty, was returned to Pentax Customer Service three times within the first year I owned it. Each time it was returned the problem had not been repaired. After the one year warranty was up they refused to do anything for me. Thay said the camera was out of warrant and they had no responsibility for it. Beware if you buy a Pentax camera.

• 11 months later...

Well, here it is, just over a year later, and Pentax Canada never did do anything to recitfy the problems I reported. Fortunately, the local store who took care of shipping the camera to Pentax for me refunded my money for the non-work that the Pentax service centre charged for. Unfortunately, Pentax steadfastly refused to repair the damage they did to the camera.

It's interesting, I suppose, that Pentax Canada closed their Vancouver service centre recently. Perhaps I wasn't the only one having problems with them after all.