Which lens(es) with Nikon Df

didier

<p>Dear all,<br>

I consider buying a Df (coming from rangefinders/film), and wonder which lenses would best come with the beast.<br>

I will use it later in the year (automn) accompanying hunters and will go for a telephoto / zoom.<br />But right now, I will use it for travel photography mainly.<br>

I am not accustomed to zooms and could be able to live without. I don't want to travel too heavy and would like to avoid huge lenses.<br>

I consider a '50 prime (the 1.8 coming as a package with the Df maybe), one wide solution, and maybe a short telephoto lens.<br>

After some reading, I thought the 4/16-35 + 50 combo could be a nice solution.<br>

Or rather the 2.8/24 with the 1.8/50 ? How good is the 16-35 : will it compare to the 24 ?<br>

A longer lense could be something between 85 and 135.</p>

<p>All inputs appreciated,</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Didier.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a Df, using it with the 16-35f/4 and the 50mm f/1.4.<br>

I also use the 24-120mm F/4.<br>

and as a patient of the NAS. I also use an 85mm and the 105mm Macro<br>

Having great results.<br>

I also use it with the Sigma 150-500 and it also does a great job, only complain here is that the focusing can be a bit slow sometimes, but that is from infinity to 5m away so it has to travel the full distance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am not accustomed to zooms and could be able to live without.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In this case the recent crop of f1.8's would all work nicely. 28mm, 35mm, 50 you have covered, and 85mm. I have them all other than the recent 35mm and have no hesitation in recommending them.</p>

<p>The Df is small and light (at least compared to a D4) so primes will probably work best.</p>

<p>If you want AF I second Phil Evans suggestion, look at the newer f1.8 lenses. Otherwise older ai lenses and possibly a focusing screen upgrade.</p>

<p>If you want to keep your equipment weight down I suggest getting a Kenko 1.4 extender as well. It will work on any lens and given the low pixel density of the Df I think most lenses will still look great on it.</p>

<p>Some older manual focus lenses that I think would work great for travel on the Df is the very small 20mm f3.5. 35mm f2 if you like that focal length. The extremely small 50mm f1.8 / 50mm f2 if you like that focal length. I'm not sure about the 85mm f2, I think my sample may be soft but haven't used it enough. The 135mm f3.5 is also an alternative for a longer telephoto as it's very small for such a long lens.</p>

<p>Personally I'd just bring the 35mm as it's my fav focal length. Then the 20mm, the 85 or 135 and the 1.4 extender.</p>

<p>Isn't a main point of the Df that you can use almost all Nikkor lenses ever made?</p>

<p>As I've said before, if this body had been available in 2004, I probably still be shooting Nikon. Now I'm so far waded in (to EOS) that to go back would be more tedious than to go o'er.</p>

<p>The advantage of zooms these days is that they are nearly as good or as good as 'prime' lenses and allow tremendous flexibility without resorting to sneaker zoom. The best ones in the more-or-less 20mm to 100+mm range are wonderful single lens solutions for when you are traveling. Throw the longer and shorter lenses in your kit, but for walkabout the 20-100-or-so is unbeatable.</p>

<p>My 24-105mm lens practically lives on my 35mm-sensor camera, and a long 100-400mm on an APS-C body.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that some Sigma lenses have had compatibility problems with the DF. <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/12/03/sigma-issues-advisory-on-lens-compatibility-with-nikon-df">Here is the announcement</a> in DPreview. Sigma can update the firmware in many of its lenses to make them compatible. Recently purchased Sigma lenses should already come with the update.</p>

<p>As a hunter myself, I would want a camera with better AF if you are trying to shoot action scenes such as flying ducks etc. A D7100 or D800 would do that noticeably better. As for rangefinder lenses, I am a Leica shooter and have come to think that a spread of 24/50/90mm is about optimum a compromise for usefulness and lightness.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

Actually, with my Df, I use some of my old lenses.<br>

20mm f:3.5 AI<br>

24mm f:2.8 AIS<br>

28mm f:2.8 AIS<br>

50mm f:1.2 AIS<br>

105mm f:2.5 AIS<br>

135mm f:2.8 <strong>N-AI</strong> (was for my Nikkormat ftn)<br>

Rarely use AF lens on this body.<br>

All these lenses work very well with this vintage (allure) body. Back to manual operation is just a wonderful joy !<br>

Have fun with it !<br>

Denis</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like the AF-D primes with my Df because they are light and compact. The 28/2.8, 35/2.0, 50/1.8, and 85/1.8 are all great matches.</p>

<p>For a zoom, the 28-70/3.5-4.5D-AF zoom is the best choice for a balance of compact, solid construction, and excellent optical performance. But, the 35-105/3.5-4.5D-AF (push-pul) zoom is a really nice one-lens option (you just don't get close focus). Also, the 24-50/3.3-4.5D-AF is nice for a wider optio. For a tele-zoom, the 70-210/4.0-5.6D-AF is a very nice choice.</p>

<p>For really wide, I greatly prefer the 18/2.8D-AF, but the 20/2.8D-AF is also a very good choice.</p>

<p>I agree with a couple of other posts here. I don't have a Df, but I would like to (really bad). I know I have lenses I would like with it. 24mm f2.8D, 50mm f1.4G and 85mm f1.8G. I think I would want to add a 35mm f2D. All of these are reasonably compact and not at all heavy. They match up really well with my D600.</p>

<p>I only repeat my suggestion that,<br>

before you commit to only shooting with single focal length lenses, at least try a modern, quality zoom in the middle range (<em>Not 18-600mm, for example).</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

<em> </em></p>

<p>My idea of buying the Df is to use the lenses I have when shooting film over the years. I have a number of prime which all work well with the Df. 20mm f/2.8 D, 28mm f/2.8 D, 50mm f/1.4 AI, 85mm f/2 AI, 100mm f/2.8 series E, 135mm f/2.8 AI. A couple of zoom 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S (non VR), 70-300 f/4-5.6 AF-D. <br>

They all work fine except the 70-300mm which is very awkward focusing manually. </p>

<p>Well as far as I am aware all Nikon lenses are compatible with the DF body as they are compatible with any other Nikon body. As a consequence I am sure the ones that work best on other bodies will work the same on the DF. When it comes down to which ones to choose, well that depends entirely on the shooter style as to what he is used to shoot with.</p>

<p>I realise I'm late to the discussion, but from my brief experience with the Df (tried, not owned), I'd err on the side of smaller lenses, especially if your style of shooting involves changing exposure compensation or ISO a lot. If it doesn't, it probably matters less. Coming from a rangefinder, I doubt your first choice would be (say) a 300 f/4, so you're probably safe there.<br />

<br />

On that note, I'm fascinated to hear that Andy uses one with a 150-500 Sigma - a lens I used to own, and <i>not</i> small (also quite phallic, if you leave the hood reversed and extend the zoom provocatively). It takes all sorts. :-)</p>