Hasselblad 503CW and Stock Tripod Head

john_boyd9

<p>Guys please help me out!! My brother used my hasselblad 503cw for a shoot tonight and he attached a regular tripod head to it and he came to my room freaking out! I'm freaking out too. I already damaged the tripod mount on the actual camera trying to use force to open the tripod head. What do i do?<br>

I have attached some pictures. </p>

<p>http://i39.tinypic.com/3127gie.jpg<br>

http://i42.tinypic.com/27xikjl.jpg<br>

http://i40.tinypic.com/344ee0i.jpg</p>

<p>Please someone tell me there is an easy way to fix this. </p>

<p>Not familiar with this type of quick release plate, but it should respond to the principle of "What goes up must come down" - in other words, if you do whatever was done to tighten the plate in reverse, it should come off. If some locking mechanism has broken and cannot be released, the only solution would be to get access to a bench (column) drill with a bit as large as the bright screw head visible from underneath and drill out this screw - if you use a very slow drill advance (lowering motion) the screw will be drilled away without marking the camera.</p>

<p>Looking at the pictures...I cannot fathom how your brother attached this plate! I see a silver bolt head, with a hexagonal shape for a spanner to tighten/untighten...but the whole thing seems to be embedded <em>below</em> the plate surface, so how could one even get a spanner on to it? Maybe there's a large washer or spring missing from the unit...</p>

<p>Did he maybe use the plate itself as the "spanner", turning it with the bolt head trapped inside it, applying torque until the plate would turn no more and ended up more or less straight with respect to the camera? If so, then turning the whole plate anticlockwise should open it.</p>

<p>See there are two bolts with this tripod head. One of the bolts went inside the hole under the camera preventing it from turning. So there is no way to turn this thing because one of the bolts opened up and went inside the camera mount hole. There is no way to open this with turning. If it was one bolt i could easily turn it and open but the tripod head is something like this<br /> http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/camera-tripod-head-3393257.jpg<br /> the only different is in my case both bolts are metal. If one one plastic maybe it would break off while turning.<br /> I'm thinking of taking it to the camera shop right now.</p>

<p>@<a href="/photodb/user?user_id=282122">Q.G. de Bakker</a><br>

http://imageshack.com/a/img690/7139/xmlf.jpg<br />http://imageshack.com/a/img594/3514/gi0u.jpg<br />http://imageshack.com/a/img13/8337/a8xz.jpg</p>

<p>I'm also curious how your brother got the bolt in flush with the plastic.</p>

<p>If QC's suggestions did not work (is the metal "key" just a base to hold the pin?), you can use the standard techniques:</p>

<p>cut the plastic around the bolt head so you can get a spanner or pliers on the hex bolt...<br>

or:<br>

cut a slot in the head of the bolt with a dremel and use a screw driver to remove the bolt.</p>

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

<p>A few questions and observations.</p>

<p>Is this the original head plate for this tripod?</p>

<p>If so, do you have the brand name and model number of either the tripod and/or the head so you can hopefully find better images on line and figure out how to release the mechanism?</p>

<p>What appears to be a tiny recessed handle inside the mount next to the bolt looks like it might release a locking pin that is preventing you from turning the whole mount, have you been able to pull that out?</p>

<p>If that doesn't release it, stop doing anything until you get better information. </p>

<p>You actually may have to deal with this through a well qualified machinist who understands how delicate this camera is both mechanically and cosmetically. He may have to carefully saw off the stuff around the bolt or even through the bolt head and extract the threaded part via a strong pair of locking pliers. I would have the camera thoroughly wrapped in layers of plastic while this happens to keep any debris away from the camera itself. Use a front body cap if you have one so you can remove the lens and leave the back in place to help protect everything, then wrap everything heavily and tape the plastic in place.</p>

<p>Finally, stop using what is presumably a cheap tripod or head and invest in a good solid one like a Manfrotto pro level unit or a Tiltall. AND, most important, Hasselblad has made a whole series of top line tripod mounts specific to their cameras. Those are called tripod quick couplings and they are superb in every way. They attach to the tripod screw and grip the bottom camera plate very tightly when the camera body is slid in place and the locking lever engaged, do not relay on any bolts, and release by disengaging the lever. Even if you forget to hold the camera when you release the lever, the camera can't fall off the tripod in any position because you still have to push a button, or in some models, release another lever before you can fully dismount the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I ended up taking it to a camera shop. All it needed was a metal sheet to release one of the bolts which was stuck. He didn't charge me and it took him less than 5 minutes to fix it. Lesson learned! Don't loan the camera. Don't try to fix anything yourself with a knife and damage the tripod mount. And lastly invest on a good tripod for the whole family members to use!<br>

Anyways thank you all for taking the time and trying to help me out.<br>

One last question. Any good tripod head & legs on B&H you recommend for my hasselblad? Something that is not too expensive, I'm a student and im very tight on budget. I will be mostly using my hasselblad outdoors shooting landscapes and architecture.<br>

I'm ordering some other stuff (film & filters) from B&H so i prefer to purchase them all together and pay for the shipping all at once. So any recommendations from B&H tripod collection? </p>

<p>My favourite tripod for out and about with MF is a Slik 88 (later known as Slik Black Diamond). This has U-shaped profile legs and is very stable for its weight. I bought one recently on e-bay in mint condition for £35 (about $55). It comes with a pan and tilt head which is not brilliant and has no left/right levelling, so I took this off and got a Giottos ball head.</p>

<p>My advice to buy secondhand an old, Series 3, aluminum tripod by Gitzo. A series 2 will work, too. They are a bit on the heavy side, but also the best.<br /> ---</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I'm ordering some other stuff (film & filters) from B&H so i prefer to purchase them all together and pay for the shipping all at once.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Beware of it. Maybe it has changed, but I have ordered in the past different items and they sent them in different packages, with extra cost. Don`t remember the reason, different warehouses or so. It was a very big issue for those buying overseas (custom duties). <br /> I hope it has been fixed. I liked B&H, but I stopped buying them online for this reason.</p>

I second the alumin(i)um Gitzo recommendation. Expensive new, but sold/bought a lot, so it's not hard to find a good deal on a used one.<br>I wouldn't however recommend a 2 series Gitzo. I have and use (among others) a 3 series, and it is already a bit too 'underdimensioned' for a Hasselblad. It works, but just.<br>Gitzo series 5 would be best, and most expensive. But i have seen such sold for very little too. So with a bit of patience, keeping an eye out for them on eBay and such, perhaps a good deal on one of those can be found.

Carbon fiber tripods are made for those who rather want a convenient (light weight) tripod than a good one. Yes, they are easier to carry around. But inert mass is the working part of a tripod, so paying extra to have a big tripod that weighs very little makes no sense.<br><br>Of the ones on your list, i only know the 055. The 190 looks like something to have a look at too. The 7321 looks like it would not be up to the job. Can you visit a store that has them so you can handle them?

What extra size, David?<br>And relatively heavy, compared to what? Compared to same size alumin(i)um tripods, they are the contrary, not heavy at all.<br>Alumin(i)um tripods are just as rigid. But not as light, or expensive. Better over all, unless you value having a light weight tripod more than having a good tripod.