Customizing Magliners for Wedding Photography:

studio460

<p>This discussion originally began in another thread, but soon grew off-topic, so here's a new thread:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Background:</em><br>

<br /> <em>Magliner makes a variety of materials handling carts for general warehousing and delivery applications. Two companies, Backstage, Inc., and Filmtools, Inc, modify, and make specialized accessories to fit these carts for film/TV production.</em><br /> <br /> <em>Generically referred to as "Magliners," most media professionals are using the customized versions made by either Backstage or Filmtools. Very popular in film/TV production, Magliners are also commonly used in-studio by professional photographers. A variety of VESA and iMac mounts are made specifically for modified Magliners for photographers who shoot tethered.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>When you say you are getting the jr imaginer cart are you referring to the whole backstage conversion? If so you should keep in mind the wheel base from the jr to the mini. They cut down the width a whole 7inches to a total of 20.5 inches wide and then you can do th 19inch bottom shelf and the 18inch top shelf.</p>

<p>I'm currently considering a two-shelf, Backstage Jr. Magliner with either 18" or 24" shelves. Backstage makes several products which attach to the shelves to hold either light stands or C-stands, so I'm currently trying to decide how to equip my cart to hold at least two location aluminum baby stands (the kind with a Rocky Mountain leveling leg, not wheels), plus two standard 40" C-stands with 40" extension arms. For other types of shoots, I also tend to need short C-stands as well.</p>

<p>Stands:</p>

<p>• x2 aluminum baby stands w/Rocky Mountain legs.<br /> • x2 C-stands, standard, w/40" extension arms.<br /> • x2 C-stands, short, w/20" extension arms.</p>

<p>Most of the heavy, bulky stuff, I'll store on the bottom shelf:</p>

<p>• Dynalite XP-1100 AC inverters.<br /> • Enersys PC680 SLA batteries for XP-1100.<br /> • 15 lb. shot bags.<br /> • 25' stingers.</p>

<p>Michael said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>When you say you are getting the jr imaginer cart are you referring to the whole backstage conversion?</em> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Probably. I'll have to make a trip to Filmtools and try some of this out with my actual gear complement. So, you have the 18" shelves on your mini?</p>

<p>The size of the shelves do not matter for the accessories to hold the baby stands and the C stands as they attach and hang off of the lip of the shelves. I have the 19inch bottom shelf and 18 inch top. I spent the extra money for a narrow 20 inch cart so I am not going to put a 24 inch shelf on it as it would defeat the purpose. Your cases will most likely hang off the 24 inch shelf anyways so don't think in terms of the bags have to fit perfectly within the shelves width. The mini is also much shorter in length to the JR.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input, Michael. Now that I look at them, my camera/lens cases (aluminum Hakuba cases) aren't actually that deep, so the 18" shelf may make more sense. I just thought by the time I got the inverters, batteries and stuff on there, I'd fill up the mini too quickly. I'm also thinking the 18" shelves may be a better fit for "standard" Mole-Richardson milk crates. Nope--just looked it up--the Mole crate's outside dimension is 19" x 13" x 11" so it won't fit inside the shelf lip the long way.</p>