first shots with Fuji XE1 +35/1.4

<p>so, as requested, i did a bit of shooting with this lightweight yet powerful combo.</p>

<p>first impressions:</p>

<ul>

<li>essentially 85%-90% of the functionality of my full-frame D3s+ sigma 50/1.4 rig in a much smaller and lighter form factor.</li>

<li>great for street/candid shooting</li>

<li>AF speed seemed 'good enough'; locked on quickly with no issues with focus accuracy, even at wide apertures</li>

<li>motor noise and movement of aperture ring wasnt an issue in real-world shooting</li>

<li>image quality is really great -- no complaints thusfar</li>

<li>bokeh is very smooth and pleasing to the eye</li>

<li>colors really pop</li>

<li>the aperture dial is a little bit too easy to move, especially when shooting action; harder stops between values or a lock switch would have been nice.</li>

</ul>

<p>here are some sample shots:</p><div>00cP54-545704984.jpg.36e0168637e64f57fbfe7ab4e73bb466.jpg</div>

<p>Nice, those high ISO photos look great. Main reason I'm considering Fuji, including the good looking in-camera JPEGs. In comparison high ISO shots from my Nikon V1 look like mush.</p>

<p>Do you like the in-camera JPEGs well enough to use 'em as-is for quickly sharing 'em online, or do you still prefer to tweak the raw files? That's a big plus for me - being able to share snaps without having to run everything through Lightroom. The V1 raw files are good but the in-camera JPEGs above ISO 800 in dim lighting are meh.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you like the in-camera JPEGs well enough to use 'em as-is for quickly sharing 'em online, or do you still prefer to tweak the raw files?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lex those are all SOOC jpegs, with the exception of the B&W shots, just resized for web, with watermark added. </p>

<p>i'm going to try some ISO 5000 and 6400 shots at some point, but i have to say, this Fuji set-up is close to ideal for street photography: just set auto-ISO for your upper limit and tweak aperture and shutter as necessary. the external dials are more intuitive then shooting in manual with a two-control dial DSLR because of the WYSIWYG LCD and EVF. it's actually easier to compose with the LCD than an OVF, especially in areas where you need to be aware of your surroundings (like Oakland streets at night).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Eric, have you done the latest firmware updates yet?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>not yet. i got a message to update the lens the first time i put it on the camera but havent gotten around to it yet. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Camera equipment aside, those are a very nice set of photos.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>thanks, E. (:</p>

<p>hi steve, actually i did ZERO post-processing on the hi-ISO shots, except for b&w conversions. when testing a new lens/body combo, i always want to see what they can do on their own.</p>

<p>i have a d300s that still sees some use, but mainly in daylight or at night w/flash. i dont really like to go above 1600 if i can help it with that camera. the XE1 is super clean at 3200, which fits my style as i do like to wander about at night and take street/candid shots. not sure how long the sale on the XE1 will last, but it's a good deal with the 18-55 kit lens which is also very good. the fuji lens sale is on through february; i was considering buying a used 35/1.4 but when the new price dropped to what i almost paid for a used lens, i jumped on it. pretty jazzed so far with the results...</p><div>00cPC8-545722784.jpg.bac54a497c54e9b77c7d3c238c0a4a33.jpg</div>