Can I use my Canon 270ex ii on Ricoh GR?

claudia_z

<p>It may work, in non-TTL modes. If it has non-TTL auto and manual modes, try those. There are some much older flash units with high trigger voltages that may damage some cameras, but virtually all newer flash units should be safe.</p>

<p>I've used my Nikon SB-800 flash on the Ricoh GX100 and GRD4, and many other non-Nikon cameras, in non-TTL auto and manual modes. No problems, other than the imbalance from using a huge flash on a tiny camera. My Nikon SB-10 flash was a slightly better fit, at a little larger than a hard box pack of cigarettes. But the SB-10 lacks the full manual control of the SB-800.</p>

<p>Incidentally, if you find the hotshoe flash too cumbersome but want a bit more light, try using the Ricoh's pop-up flash to trigger another flash off-camera. It may need a TTL compatible optical trigger - Wein and a few other companies sell these.</p>

<p>Another method is a hotshoe flash sync cord. I already have a Nikon SC-29 TTL curly cord which also works fine in non-TTL mode with non-Nikon cameras for non-TTL auto flash or full manual flash.</p>

<p>Finally, a wireless radio trigger will help. But look for something more affordable than Pocket Wizards. I just happened to already have PWs so I used those. But they're bulky and expensive compared with some more recent radio triggers.</p>

<p>I used all of those tricks extensively for <a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=1059915">snaps of a crazy kitten</a> that adopted me last year. The best results came from using the SB-800 and other large flashes off-camera, using the Ricoh in one hand and holding the off-camera flash in my left hand. That freed me up to use odd angles and follow the kitten's frantic motions more quickly.</p>

The 270EX does not have any manual modes or non-TTL auto features, so I don't think it would be very useful on a Ricoh, especially for someone who has never used flash. It might fire when attached to the Ricoh, but if it does fire, it would a full power flash and the user would have to know how to manually adjust the aperture based upon distance to the subject.