7D and 580ex problems

jephotog

<p>I have a 580 ex mark I from way back. I have a new to me EOS 7D. When I first added the 7D to my stable i played around with it and my 580 ex to work out the wireless features without really working out all the details. I was able to get the flash to fire remotely. On a recent shoot when I really needed it I could not get it to work at all.<br>

I have the camera and flash set on the same channel. I believe I have the rest set up properly. I do not have any other compatible tools to test out either the camera or the flash. I am hoping there is some trick or custom function I need to enable to solve this.</p>

<p>I would put the flash on camera to verify that it works properly when the two are physically touching. That would help isolate the problem to the wireless trigger/ettl system on the flash (or verify that it simply isn't firing - a bum flashbulb has happened to me three times on the 580EXs).</p>

Jordan, let's do a step-by-step verification:

In your camera:

Go to "Flash control" (at the bottom of the first camera settings menu),

Set "Flash firing" to "Enable",

Enter into the "Built-in flash func. setting" submenu,

Set "Flash mode" to "E-TTL II",

Set "Shutter sync." to "1st curtain" (other options should be graded out anyway),

Set "E-TTL II" to your preference (Evaluative or Average),

Set "Wireless func." to the third option (external flash only),

Set "Channel" to "1 ch",

Set "Firing group" to "(A+B+C)",

Set "exp. comp." to "0", and

Manually pop-up the camera's internal flash.

In your flash:

Set the "Off-Master-Slave" switch into the "Slave" position,

Using the "Zoom" button, set the channel to "1",

Also using the "Zoom" button, set the "Slave" group to "A".

I believe the custom function settings of the camera and the flash shouldn't affect the wireless flash operation.

You should be all set to trigger your 580EX with the 7D's internal flash.

Let us know.

<p>Thanks Ruben,<br>

This is basically how I had it set up. And tried it without any luck. The one portion of your instructions I could not follow though is this.<br>

<strong>Also using the "Zoom" button, set the "Slave" group to "A". I believe the custom function settings of the camera and the flash shouldn't affect the wireless flash operation.</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong>Using the zoom tool I did not get an option to set the slave to "A" but I did find an setting that had a Flashing Ratio option that had an "FF" setting or on with an "On" and "A:B" or "A:B C". I played around with those settings and still could not get the flash to pop remotely.<br>

One concern that makes me think it might be the 7ds fault is the on camera flash pops when I have it set in the "external flash only" setting.</p>

I guess your flash is in Master mode if you are able to set ratios in the flash. Confirm the switch in the flash is not in

Master (central position) but in Slave (last position). If you are sliding that switch all the way to Slave, but are still able to

set the ratios in the flash, perhaps there is a problem with that switch.