60mm AF-D and Kenko Extension TubesD

birdied

<p>My 60mm f/2.8 D AF will not autofocus any longer with the Kenko extension tubes. Lens will autofocus without the tube.<br>

I have tried the tubes with other lens and no issue.<br>

Camera being used is the D800.<br>

Anyone have any ideas.<br>

Thank you for your help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You may have a *software* issue. The Kenko tubes were made a few years before the Nikon D800 came on the market. Nikon did not include the Kenko tubes in the camera's ID system for knowing what item is attached. You may have to get Nikon extension tubes, or find a AF 200mm f4D Micro-Nikkor lens.</p>

<p>What are those camera + lens + extension tube combinations that work and what combinations do not.<br>

When and with what setup it did work previously.<br>

Test also with a lens in a normal range that has a small f-number to see if it is an issue with a low effective aperture caused by a long extension. Start testing form a modest (small tube) length.<br>

If you focus your lens near ( 1:1 ) you are close to f5.6. Then add some tubes and you are beyond f8 - no autofocus then even with D800.</p>

<p>My Kenko DG tubes are 'dumb' ..the connections are just pass-through with no chip.</p>

<p>If the lens works without the tubes and the tubes work with <strong><em>other</em></strong> lenses...then it's effectively mechanical, ie a misalignment of contacts just with those 2 components.</p>

<p>Are there any error messages? Apart from the obvious, what happens when it doesn't AF?</p>

<p>Does the 60mm micro + tubes AF work on <em><strong>another</strong></em> screw-drive body?</p>

<p>Does the little drive-peg rotate easily 'through' all 3 tubes?</p>

<p>Does it work with <em><strong>any</strong></em> individual (separate) tube or not with all 3?</p>

<p>One of the aspects nearly always forgotten by those that don't think AF is very useful in macro is it's use in tethered-camera operations. In LV, the photographer controls the focus point from the computer without touching the camera....and being contrast-detect AF, it is very accurate.</p>

<p>If focus-stacking is done, then having the focus shift by a known and computer-controlled step is very handy. </p>

<p>Agreed, it's a niche use, but without it, it's a bit of a pain!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sorry for the delay in reply.<br>

I only have one camera, D800, so can't test on another camera.<br>

However, I have tested other lens with the tubes (105mm and 300mm ) and auto focus works with them.<br>

I have tried all the tubes on the 60 and they will not auto focus. What happens is I hear the auto focus try to engage, then it just comes to a halt , like something is stopping it.<br>

No error messages and I have cleaned the contacts with deoxit .</p>

<p>Again, sorry for the late reply.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Maybe, your 60mm lens is the only one of your lenses without internal focusing motor. In that case only the 60mm lens is operated/auto focused/ via a mechanical linkage - like screw drive.<br>

Did you test your 60mm lens with one tube only at a time. Does any of the tubes allow auto focus?<br>

You may check the lens + tube combination mechanics: take the camera away, manually focus the lens, see what happens in the back side of the extension tube. A small slot (like screw driver slot) should be turning. If not, there is a mechanical fault. That fault may be easily corrected.</p>

<p>The 60 mm f/2.8 D will auto-focus correctly on my D800E (and my other Nikon cameras) when used with one or more Kenko extension tubes. As previously suggested, you should check the screw drive mechanical linkage between the lens, extension tube and camera. Are any of the other lenses that you tried D-lenses, or are they AFS that only require electrical connections? Also, do you have the limit switch on the lens set? With the limit switch on, and the lens focus near infinity, the AF will only be able to use a small percentage of its range, down to about 0.3 m setting (or 3:1 magnification without extension tube).</p>