"Err 01" Message on T2i when pointing down

richterjw

<p>I have experienced with multiple lenses (but most recently my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro), that my Rebel T2i will occasionally give me an "Err 01" message ["Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts."]. Removing and re-attaching the lens and turning the body off and on will generally resolve the problem. The issue proves very prevalent with any 3rd party lenses, regardless of manufacturer.</p>

<p>The camera is about four years old. I am assuming the described issue is a camera problem. Due to the angle of the camera when the problem most regularly occurs, I am curious as to whether there's a problem with the mounting plate (though it doesn't appear to be loose).</p>

<p>Any suggestions as to the underlying problem and/or any solutions? Thanks.</p>

It does sound like the camera is at fault, considering multiple lenses are involved. My bet is that the contacts are briefly

losing...well...contact for some reason. How do the contacts look on the camera end? They still springing back properly, or do any of them

look bent or stuck? Is the mount dirty in any way, and do the lenses wiggle around excessively when mounted? Clean the body contacts

(Google for instructions) and check to see if they aren't gummed up, as they do need to move some.

If nothing is easily apparent, and you've cleaned the lens and body contacts properly, it might be time for a trip to Canon or a third-party

repair center, or replacement of the camera, whichever makes better economic sense for you.

Or if you are really handy, replacement contact assemblies can be purchased at pretty reasonable prices. It doesn't look like an easy DIY

job, however, as the connectors appear to snake pretty far from the contacts, looking at a picture of the assembly. I wouldn't recommend

this option unless repairing small electronics is something you've done often before, but felt compelled to mention the parts are available.

<p>I think Joshua's hit the nail on the head (or all of them anyway), the source of the problem is very likely either a loose/damaged lens mount, or (much more likely given that a loose/damaged mounting plate would be pretty obvious), a bad spring or loose wire in the contact pin array. I assume you've visually and physically checked the pins, so a dirty one, or obviously damaged one would have been detected, so I'd guess that it's either a) a broken/loose solder point along one of the pin lines, or b) a very weak pin spring.</p>

<p>Do you feel confident in attempting a repair yourself?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just a guess here: Assuming that your lenses are physically tight in the mount, gravity would help, not hurt, the interface between your camera's contacts and the lenses' contacts. For this reason, I suspect there's an internal connection that has gone bad -- maybe a ribbon cable end that needs re-seating.</p>