My First Wedding -- questions about flash and more...

prabhu_v

<blockquote>

<p>A few things from my yesterday's experience: lighting was a little boring with the flash on the 24-70. I feel like I could have arranged for an off-camera flash.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Primary solution to the boring light is not to use off camera flash but rather to bounce the flash.<br /> Most people starting to "bounce" do so by buying a omnibounce or similar device to put on the flash head. That IMHO is not the way to get interesting light.</p>

<p>Try instead to remove any gizmos on the flash head. Zoom it in manually to let's say 85mm. Think of a spot where you would have placed your off-camera flash, for instance to the left of the subject from a position pointing down say 30 degrees or so. Now lock for a spot in the ceiling or on the wall and imagine that you would could have an illuminated spot there that would give you the direction of light you wanted. Point the flash head to that spot and fire away.</p>

<p>Don't think that the light has to bounce like a ball because it doesn't. Most walls and ceilings have a predominantly matte surface, which means that reflections are mostly diffuse reflections. Diffuse reflection will spread in all directions. So even if you aim the flash head away from your subject you will still throw light forward the subject as well. Give it a spin and see what you think. This technique cannot always be used - for instance when the ceiling is far too high or the walls and ceiling are very, very dark or have a color that will turn out to give too strong a color cast on the subject.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Prabhu said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>. . . The video that I watched [<a href="

rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
made me pay more attention to capturing the moments vs focusing on the artistic look . . . The 85mm without the flash was my favorite. I absolutely love the shots that I took with this. Though I'd like to keep things simple as noted by many of you and just have the 24-70 and 70-200, I feel like a third camera with the 85mm on it would be very useful for the main event.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>For those of you who sat through Joe Buissink's entire videotaped lecture, you know that in addition to the incidental snippets about his 'P' mode technique, he also elaborates, in a fair amount of detail, the way he applies PJ-style photography to wedding coverage. Prabhu noticed that with his own available-light photography (taken with his 85mm), he produced some of his most pleasing images, and for good reason. Available-light, shot well, is some of the prettiest stuff there is (however, I have no idea how Joe continues to get so lucky with so much available window light at each of his venues!).</p>

<p>I have to say, I really enjoyed Joe's insights (thanks, Prabhu!), and learned quite a lot from listening to him. I found it interesting that Joe totes as many as three bodies at a time, so that he never misses a shot due to a lens-change. If I had my way, I would love to just carry two available-light FX bodies: one with a 35mm f/1.4 mounted, and the second, with an 85mm f/1.4 (and, as Joe does, hire a primary to shoot all the flash-fired stuff). But instead, usually my flash-fired 24-120mm is on my primary body, and my 70-200mm is on my second body for events. Interestingly, many of Joe's very best shots were lensed with his 70-200mm, using its reach to capture moments where his subjects were unaware of being photographed. If you haven't watched the entire video (which I know, is quite long), I highly recommend it!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Actually, I've heard Joe Buissink lecture on his photography and he said he recommends P mode, because in the great majority of cases the camera does a better job of sorting out exposure than the brain does. and yes, he knows when not to use it. <br>

I thought besides so much of all the advice above was good, like William Porter's. But, I would just emphasize, that yes, back-up flash and the suggestion for a battery-pack, especially if you are really going to rely on flash. Makes it so much better, faster and even flash. Quantum works great and can be rented.<br>

For a modifier on the flash, I've been quite pleased with the Rogue flash bender with their diffuser added. Amazingly even light for on camera use. </p>