What a joy to use

User_4754088

<p>I have to shoot digital for work because everyone wants everything "yesterday". But I got a chance to get out and shoot for myself this morning, just me and my F-1 and a bevy of primes.</p>

<p>What an absolute joy to shoot this camera. So simple. The lenses feel so good in your hands, they focus so silky smooth (28mm f2, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm f2, 135mm f2.5) and the controls couldn't be more straightforward. And I love NOT being able to chimp between shots. </p>

<p>And it's also fun sending the film off for development and waiting for it to come back, as opposed to immediately throwing the images up on computer and having to instantaneously fine adjust them and decide which ones to send to the editor.</p>

<p>It was very ZEN.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>I miss slides - especially Kodachrome slides - but some B&W and color negative films are very nice, and do convert nicely into digital images.</p>

<p>Some of those old Kodachromes in digital form look really nice on a huge monitor in hi-res.</p>

<p>JDM, totally agree about slide film. Shot truckloads of Kodak Ektachrome EPP-100 back in the 1990's. Really miss that film. Never warmed up much to the Fuji slide film. And I certainly miss Kodachrome, but hadn't shot any of that in decades.</p>

<p>Funny, I always found the FD glass did magical things to Ektachrome. I could never get the same results with Nikon glass, weird.</p>

<p>"Momma, they took my Kodachrome away" I miss Kodachrome so much. It is hard to find local processors for slides and it's becoming tougher to find decent C-41. Been shooting mostly B&W developing it myself and scanning it.</p>

<p>I too have rekindled the joy of my FD glass on my original FD bodies (EF, FTb and FTbn) along with F-1, F-1n and New F-1. All the F-1s were purchased over the last 2 or 3 years along the A series bodies.</p>

<p>Even though I owned a brand new New F-1 and sold it in the early 90's; I found the original F-1 to be a new favorite.</p>

<p>Ed</p><div>00cQuX-545989984.JPG.4ce1a8dbbf34f5b0018650cdca182190.JPG</div>

<p>I made the huge mistake of selling most of my Canon FD kit back in 1996 and switching to Nikon. Although my Nikon gear pays the bills, I truly miss my pristine F-1n, and the bevy of lenses I sold along with it.</p>

<p>Using a NEW F-1 these days, mostly because I can get the batteries still, and I've got the matte, spot meter Focusing Screen, which I dearly love. </p>

<p>On the lookout for a pristine F-1n to go with my Motor Drive MF (sp), though it may end up being a shelf queen as I am starting to really like this NEW F-1.</p>

<p>It's truly amazing how inexpensive some very fine FD-series camera bodies in good shape are these days. Some of the old top end ones are a little more, but still often much cheaper than a new point-and-shoot digital camera.<br>

The same goes for film EOS cameras too, so there's no need to stop shooting film. :)</p>

<p>Lenses are a little more pricey, especially for the older cameras that use still in service lens mount lenses. Of course the smaller digital cameras that take almost any lens have also had some impact even on the "orphaned" lenses.</p>

<p>i OWN a selection of a and t series fd cameras..<br>

when spring comes I look forward to using themn.<br>

I can still see well enough to frame and focus.<br>

rweading a graduate or thermometer may be harder though.<br>

My son is agaisst the use of film and thinks any use or desire to use any film camera is stupid.</p>

<p>One of my problems is seeing those darn little numbers.<br>

But I will start with the T50. .</p>

<p>Yes, as the eyes age it does get more difficult. I have finally succumbed to using a diopter on my FD bodies. The diopters are getting really hard to find, but bring back the joy of shooting with these gems. Also carry a pair of reading glasses in case I need to read the frame counter, that or I just shoot until I can't advance the film anymore. :-)</p>

<p>I don't miss film, but I do miss that solid feel of the F-1n, the simplicity and precision of it's operation and all the fine FD lenses that sit in front. Though mine is in retirement I don't have the heart to part with such a fine machine. Perhaps, like you, I'll pull it out again someday for bit of F-1 fun. Fortunately, my quiver of FD lenses is finding new life with my Sony digicams so my decades long association with Canon FD gear shall continue.</p>

<p>After having them for thirty years I sold my FTbN and EF, three FD lenses and one FL lens, chiefly because of problems with vision. I ran a Leica range-finder system at the same time, and that was much easier to focus. Diopters were hard to find even in the early years of this century.</p>

Paul, they were a Japan-only market item (all the paperwork which came with mine is in Japanese) and its special limited-edition olive green finish was intended to renew consumer interest in the F-1n which by then was several years old. The

camera was not made specifically for military service but I'd imagine that many were purchased by individuals of military

background. To me, it is a pity that Canon did not produce some lenses of matching finish...perhaps someday I will have

one painted myself!

But the most beautiful thing about them is they're 100% an F-1...and a more reliable friend you shall never find!

Took a closer look at the ODF-1's included literature / price list and noted that it cost the exact same as a standard F-1n,

104,000¥.

Tim, echoing what you said about the Zen-like process of using film and having to actually WAIT for something...and it's actually pleasurable to stroll down to our local (and now only!) camera shop and gab with Peggy, her staff and other customers...in person, face to face, socializing! I quite surprised at how many people still come in with film cameras, to buy and drop off film. Yeah, I am an odd bird but not totally so!

<p>Rick, don't know if there is any such thing as a Leica R to Canon FD adapter, but Leica made a series of their SLR lenses (R series) in the olive drab/green color. Went with a special Leica R camera body, though I can't remember which one. Think they called it the "Safari" or something like that.</p>