Bay III filters

harry_hollander

<p>As a protection for the lens, I am looking into a Rolleiflex TLR bay III filter. While original filters can be found, it occurs to me that a modern filter would be preferable due to improved coatings. But where can I find these? Does Rollei actually manufacture any themselves given that there is a modern version of the TLR with bay III filters?<br>

All the best,<br>

Willem</p>

<p>You can buy a set new from Rolleiflex.us for (gulp) 610 USD. Or you can buy an older used one on ebay which I have done and found the quality not at all lacking. With a little research you can also find an adapter which allows you to put screw on filters. I have a bay 111 to 49mm adapter which I found some years ago on ebay. I think you will find them in a variety of places new... including rolleiflex.us<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>http://rolleiflex.us/products/bay-iii-filter-set-for-tlr-cameras</p>

<p>Hello everyone. Like Mr. Purdy, I use an adapter for my TLR Yashicamats...Bay I to 49mm. This allows me to use the filters from my K1000 lenses, plus a soft rubber lens hood and lens cap can be put onto the camera when in the kit case or moving about....plus, I have a few extra dollars left over. Enjoy, Bill</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses! The adapter may be the way to go, or I should find a relatively good one. My thinking was that more recent coatings would be better in reducing flare—the filter serving to protect the lens but with the risk of introducing flare (I don't like the lens cap too much, although it looks good).<br>

I was unaware Helioplan make them for Bay III so that's good to know!</p>

Differences in coatings aren't going to make a huge difference (if even an appreciable difference at all). Using or not using a proper lens hood is.<br>So make sure that whatever you do, you retain the (effective) use of a proper hood.<br>The round soft rubber ones, for instance, aren't as effective as the Rollei original square hoods. And moving the filter forward by inserting an adapter between lens and filter will shorten the effective length of the hood.<br>So maybe the old Rollei filters aren't such a bad idea after all, even if their coating (do they have any?) isn't all that good. Or, of course, the modern coated filters in Bay III mount.

<p>As far as I know, modern multi-coating has come some way from the single coating of the 50s, and if I introduce a risk, I'd like it to be as small as possible. Indeed, I'm not even sure the RIII filters were coated at all, although I would assume as much. Shortening the effective length of the hood (because the filter moves the glass surface forward, while the hood remains at the same location—that is what you meant, right?) is a good point; it actually even applies to Bay III filters which use the inner bayonet while the hood uses the outer bayonet. But the adapter reduces the effective length even further, so that's something to consider and I think you're right, I'd prefer a Bay III filter for that reason. I always, always use hoods on any camera I use. I even wear them myself.</p>

'Modern' multicoating (already some 80+ year old technology, that really hasn't changed much at all since then. Though it took a while for it being applied to most optical thingies) is better in reducing reflections than single layer coatings, yes. But the difference isn't that huge. What we mustn't forget is that even the best coating will not be able to prevent all reflections, and we will (and do) get an occasional flare or ghost image even when using the best coated filters. So shading is really important.<br>I use filters that do and do not have a multi layer coating, and i can't remember seeing the difference. I - like you - do take care that the lens is shaded as best as possible. And in my experience, when there is something that will cause flare or reflections, it will do so with multicoated filters too.<br><br>But you're right: no reason not to get multicoated filters when we can. I do too.<br>There's just no need to be too 'religious' about it. Just remember that most (all?) polarizers aren't coated at all (4 glass surfaces plus 2 foil surfaces for light to reflect off). Hasn't made an impact on quality big enough to reduce their popularity. ;-)

<p>How about something like this? <a href="http://rolleiflex.us/products/bay-iii-to-43mm-screw-thread-filter-adapter-ring-for-rolleiflex-tlrs">Bay III to 43mm Screw Thread Filter Adapter Ring for Rolleiflex TLR's</a> Then you can use less expensive screw in type filters...<br>

It's getting hard to source the bayonet filters. Heliopan still offers some… but they are quite expensive new. </p>