Replace my camcorder with a still camera

prabhu_v

<p>Every time I go on a trip I have to take both my camcorder and my DSLR (Nikon D600). That's because I like to shoot pictures while on a trip, but I also like to shoot video to document my trip for memories. However, not only is it bothersome to travel with all this equipment, but also while sightseeing, I sometimes have to wear both my dslr and my camcorder around my neck. While the DSLR can shoot video, it's not easy to zoom and focus as it is on a camcorder, so I can't rely on my D600 for the videos. <br>

I'm trying to see if I can somehow find a camera that I can use for both still pictures and video. I was considering the Sony A7 which seems to be a feasible replacement for the D600, but I am not sure if it can replace my camcorder. When it comes to zooming in and out, and maintain focus when panning left and right, the camcorder is so much easier to deal with, but I'm wondering if there may be something out there that I could consider.<br>

Wondering how others are dealing with this. I'm sure many of you are also on the same boat, so please share your thoughts. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If I wanted a still camera with which to shoot much video (I am not talking about carefully planned and controlled video, like for a movie shoot), I would want one with very good on-sensor phase-detection auto-focus (OSPDAF) for fast and accurate auto-focus during video recording. Right now the top two choices appear to be the Sony A6000 and the Canon 70D. I don't think any of the current full-frame models has sophisticated OSPDAF. There may be some Micro-Four-Thirds or even smaller-sensor cameras with good OSPDAF, but I figure if you're using a D600, you want as large a sensor as possible.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm a big believer in using the best tool for the job and to me that means a still camera for still photos and a video camera for video. As you've discovered, it's not as easy to shoot video on a DSLR as it is on a video camera, and video cameras certainly don't shoot stills as well as a still camera.<br /><br />Personally, I generally only shoot stills when traveling. If I were also going to shoot video and it wasn't for a specific video project, I would probably get one of the very small camcorders that can fit in a pocket and pull it out as needed.</p>

<p>Upon consideration, two things occurred to me:<br>

(1) the Sony A99 is a full-frame camera whose SLT design should allow full-time PDAF for video (although you should check whether it in fact does have full-time PDAF for video, and the SLT design also costs you a little over one-half a stop of light, making the A99 somewhat noisier than your D600, although the A99 is a little less noisy than, for example, a D7100); and<br>

(2) if you like using a viewfinder instead of a rear screen to shoot video, the Canon 70D's OVF does not support that, but the EVF's on the Sony A6000 and A99 do.</p>