Shutter Issue with AE-1

nathan_bruning

<p>Hey guys, sorry to bug you with more silly camera issues but I've been researching for about an hour and still can't find a solution or even the same issue. Maybe I'm just using the wrong terms but here it is. I have a Canon AE-1 with a Canon 50mm 1.8 FD lens that I purchased at a garage sale. Whenever I fire the shutter, it remains open for about 3 seconds every time no matter what speed I set it to. I have verified that both the shutter curtain and mirror remain open the whole time. The strange thing is that when i switch to Bulb, it works normal. I can hold the shutter open or release it immediately. Any thoughts? Thanks.</p>

<p>The mirror is definitely sluggish. It sounds almost like the sound you would expect a robot to make. I've read other articles about the mirror being slow but not ones where the shutter also stayed open. But like I said earlier, the bulb setting fires and resets quickly but still makes the robotic sound.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The lesson is don't buy cameras that are at least 27 years old at garage sales and expect them to work perfectly without being prepared to spend more money than they are worth having them serviced, I'm sorry Nathan if this seems harsh but that's what it boils down to. If I buy a used camera that I want to use seriously I always factor into the potential price the price of a service, and if this is too much I don't buy it</p>

<p>Not harsh and I expected as much when i bought it. I was just seeing here if anyone knew a simple fix. That's all. I have a few other cameras that I've had good luck with but its probably not worth putting any money into. I can buy a working one for fairly inexpensive.</p>

<p>Dear Nathan, I just joined the Photo.net Web site, and am now on the forum! I was going to answer somebody else's question, because I have a Canon FTb QL SLR film camera; although it has a battery, <em>it can work without one.</em> However, let me get to your topic. First I bought the Canon AE-1, which is also an FD mount as you know, from eBay; a very good SLR film camera. At first it did not appear to work, except the first exposure. I'm talking about after 0 and 1, by the way, and I wrote to the seller who revealed to me that it won't function without a battery. After I bought a new battery the camera worked very well. I see, I've now read the rest of your replies. Sorry to offend your knowledge or at least your familiarity. All I can say is that it is best to check it out for repair. I'll get to you later if I find out something else that can solve the dysfunction of your Canon AE-1 SLR.</p>

<p>Sincerely,<br /> George</p>

<p>First and simplest would be to clean the 2nd curtain magnet.<br /> The <em><strong>Nikos K.</strong></em> link actually shows the magnet at the "How to lubricate" section. (Nearest to the red dot)</p>

<p>Clean armature and coil contact surfaces with clean paper that has a drop of Naphtha solvent applied. Also, just in case put a drop of solvent on the armature pivot. (The action must be fluid & therefore free of contamination)</p>

<p>If that didn't work, then the top-plate must be removed and the speed dial contacts are next for solvent cleaning.<br /> (It's been written about before, because of spring pressure and a certain tungsten wire, top removal is hazardous)</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>The Canon A series cameras have proved over the years to be reliable, but you must appreciate that the design philosophy of the engineers who designed the A series that are consumer grade cameras was never in the age of planned obsolescence for them to last for 30 years.</p>