AL/AF Lock Button

pemongillo

<p>I just boxed up my D700 to sell and am learning how to use my new D610. One thing that is eluding me is the exposure lock button or the button I assign to that function. On the D700 when I pushed the Exposure Lock button it stayed locked after I took my finger off and stayed locked until I snapped the shutter or turned off the camera. Right now on the D610, it seems I need to keep my finger on the button or the lock goes off. Seems incomprehensible that it won't stay locked after I take my finger off, so I assume I am doing something wrong. Ideas ?<br>

Thanks</p>

<!--

<p>You seem to have a tendency to want to be "told" how to do things. That's really not how it works here. Read the manual your camera came with first. All the information you asked is already in there. If there is something you don't understand, or something the manual doesn't cover, THEN please ask. We're not here to explain how to use your new camera! It's a matter of "we help those who help themselves"</p>

-->

<p>As Howard and Barry pointed out, on both the D700 and D610, as well as on many other higher-end Nikon DSLRs, there is a Custom Setting in the F (Control) group to control the AE Lock behavior. You can choose to:</p>

<ul>

<li>Lock the Auto Exposure as long as you are holding down the AE-Lock button; once you let go the button, the lock is removed.</li>

<li>Keep the AE lock after you press that button once, it remains locked after you let go. You need to press again to cancel the lock. Switching off the meter will also cancel the lock.</li>

</ul>

<p>On cameras with only one button for both AE-L and AF-L, there are those options.</p>

<p>On the D700, D800, and Df where there are separate AE-L and AF-L buttons, there are even more custom options.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help. I got it figured out with your help. I didn't now what hold meant.<br>

<P>

<!--

Adam Bessler, don't be such an AH. I've been a pro photographer on and off since 1967 and now just shoot for the joy of it. I figure things out on my own, but when I can't, I ask. Don't answer if you don't want to. The world is full of enough negativity without adding nonsense to this fun and informative forum. Get a life, grow up, and stop feeling superior Adam, I doubt you are.</p>

-->