Album design software. Which one?

melandkeifspics

<p>There are a number of new/updated software for album design in 2014, namely, Fundy's Album Designer v6 and a soon to be released Windows version of SmartAlbums. Which album design software do you guys use and how do programs like LumaPix's FotoFusion, Fundy's Album Designer, and Queensbury's PhotoJunction compare to cheaper programs like MyMemories Photobook Studio 3 and others that are $40 or less (<a href="http://photo-album-software-review.toptenreviews.com/mymemories-photobook-studio-review.html">http://photo-album-software-review.toptenreviews.com/mymemories-photobook-studio-review.html</a>)?</p>

<h1> </h1>

<p>I've got to get up to speed on this stuff ... I used ROES for more than a few albums this year and it was SO PAINFUL. Just awful to work with. So are these album design programs compatible with specific online print shops? Do they spit out a pdf? Time for me to do some reading I guess :) </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I have made books with Mpix Press edition, which is a version of ROES, and indeed it is a nightmare to work with. Recently I've used the Lightroom book module that uses Blurb: the best thing since sliced bread, the bees knees, why I EVER used anything else, I don't know. If you are already using Lightroom (and you should), making a book with Lightroom is so easy. Let me give you one simple example. Lightroom book module allows you to use your RAW images that you have edited, once you see two images side by side on a book page, you might want to make a color balance correction so that they look better together on a page. Before I would have to go back to my edited image, make the adjustment, re-export to the edited pictures, upload to the ROES images.... a major PITA. Now, if I want slight adjustment in one picture all I have to do is pop it back into the Develop module, tweak and go back to the book module.<br>

Blurb has 5 different papers. They do not have flush mounts books, but then I have never made one before. </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>We use LumaPix FotoFusion and like it. A lot.<br>

We design album layouts for brides and photographer clients and have 5 years experience with FotoFusion.<br>

We've used template software (Yervant's package) and Photoshop alone before we tried FotoFusion.<br>

It's full-function, reliable, and well-supported.<br>

We have not tried Fundy's.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p><i> Mod. Note: Any details of your business website, telephone numbers etc were removed.<br> Please do not use any business details as your sign off <br></i></p>

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
<p>I'm looking all these programs as well. I see lots of people suggesting Fundy AlbumBuilder. I just looked up SmartAlbums which looks similar. I'm just surprised nobody mentions the lack of masks, included backgrounds/themes. SmartAlbums seems to have custom angle/rotation but I don't see that in Fundy. You'd probably only use that on a multi-image page probably with some nice border effect on the main picture so again, the lack of masks seems like a big hole. <br /><br />Do you just find that your clients don't really care for the more complex designs or they're just not worth the added effort? I understand these programs seem to be significantly quicker than LumaPix or InDesign. Maybe you do a mix - using Fundy/SA for overall layout and then just tossing a few more complex InDesign spreads in there after the fact? Also, usually such slideshow or photobook packages tend to offer a nice gallery of included themes and backgrounds. None of that seems to be in these packages, yet everybody is perfectly happy with just the clean lines and simple layouts?</p>