What brand of Close up filters is best?

lynnwood42

You did say best, so you should get "dual element" achromatic close up lenses. Minolta makes some in 55mm, Nikon makes the 3T and 4T in 52 mm diameter and the 5T, 6T in 62mm diameter. I use the Minolta "0" and the Nikon 3t and 4t (with a 55-52mm step down ring) on my Minolta 70-210 lens (55mm filter ring). As mentioned in an earlier post Canon also makes some (I just don't know what sizes or powers).

These will cost about $30-$50 each depending on the diameter (as opposed to the single element sets that cost $10-40 for a set of 3 or 4.

Tom

Though I use Canon equipment, I would not vote for the Canon lenses as they are grossly overpriced ($100+, in many cases - depending on filter size), and would opt for the Nikon stuff. One benefit to the less expensive sets as opposed to the lone higher quality lens, is that you can combine them for greater magnification. These more basis +1, +2, +3 filters are better than many people think; images taken with them can be publishable if done prooperly - though they are no substitute for a 1:1 macro lens or tubes. In his book on close ups in nature, John Shaw includes a few pics taken with basic lens magnifiers. My first choice would be a Nikon lens; second choice a set from Hoya or Tiffin (both good quality). If you are leaning to the latter, they can e had very cheap, used at many stores and on the internet auctions.

What ever brand you buy make sure you don't go over f8. Have you thought of extension tubes instead? No loss of quality and as cheap as a good close up lens.

I bought a cheap close up lens to make sure I liked macro photography, then got a macro lens when I found one second hand. Going to get some extension tubes as well though so I can go beyond 1:1.

Chris.