Nikon dslr's - Viewfinder not level?

ian_gordon_bilson

<p>Thom Hogan has commented that a common problem with Nikons is a tendency for the viewfinder to have a "downhill to the right " error.<br>

My D80 is accurate, my D90 has a "downhill to the left " error, which requires about a 2 degree compensation to correct. Since I do a lot of copy/repro work, this is a royal pain.<br>

Anyone have similar experiences/fixes to share ? Apart from " Wing it when you shoot " advice..</p>

<p>Yes, I've experienced incorrectly aligned viewfinders as well.<br>

I recommend using liveview instead of the viewfinder. Alternatively shoot tethered into a computer and view the files there.<br>

Also check that the camera body and sensor are aligned correctly. That is not always the case.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, I've experienced incorrectly aligned viewfinders as well.<br />I recommend using liveview instead of the viewfinder. Alternatively shoot tethered into a computer and view the files there.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If so don't buy a DSLR. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If so don't buy a DSLR.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ha ha, that would be one option.</p>

<p>Another option would be to send it back to Nikon while it's under warranty.</p>

<p>It's not an issue for handheld shooting since you can't hold the camera 100% level anyway.</p>

<p> </p>

I agree with Evan's comment. As a teaching tool I sometimes shoot a video of my students while they are shooting at my

workshops and they are stunned by how much they move the camera body when they press the shutter. I had that

problem in a big way until I realized it. With concentration it got much better and the horizon went away..

-O