I'm in a panic

dirk_dom1

<p>Hi everybody!<br /> I'm in a total panic because my pristine Canon F1 body is virgin no more!<br /> I see some brassing down on the edge of the bottom plate!<br /> I knew, oh I knew never ever to photograph with it, but I succumbed.<br /> Wish I had the strength of character of a Leica man!</p>

<p>Guilty greetings,</p>

<p>Dirk.</p><div>00cEgi-544187084.JPG.5a7201c0caf5f63c58f18a067366cbab.JPG</div>

<p>Brassing is a sign of character and honor. The virgin does not make it to Valhalla.</p>

<p>The oft-told story is that the professionals used to take a file to their new, black cameras before going into the field so they wouldn't look like newbies (a term that I don't think existed then).</p>

<p>This is my other F1.<br /> Got it from a press photographer who took 400,000 shots with it. I had a third F1, which had normal brassing but I sold that one and kept the brassed and the new one. Never had a CLA done on the brassed one - works like new. I sanded off the black paint off the viewfinder, needs another polish. </p>

<p>Dirk.</p><div>00cEgu-544187284.jpg.51bc0abdc12c72c67a71f7b67cfbd8c2.jpg</div>

<p>Hi!<br /> Of course lots of people use their Leicas to shoot lots and lots of images. I had a Leica M on order until the Sony A7 came out, and I'd have used it intensely. <br /> Whom I made fun of is the often stereotyped Leica Man (capitals intentional), who has his ostrich leather coated 36 piece limited series Leica simply because it's the best there is, cost of no consequence whatsoever, and would never think of going as low as shooting it. The Leica Man would never allow brassing. He would however buy a brassed Leica from a world famous photographer, who would be preferably deceased. <br /> I happen to go to the Leica museum in Solms on Friday, and I'll pay special attention to brassing (and ostrich leather)<br /> Dirk</p>

• 4 weeks later...