Nikon d7000 shutter disabled

shantanu_b

<p>I neglected to state clearly that my test used the maximum frame rate for the D7000, and counted only the shots up to the substantially drop in the frame rate due to the buffer being filled, i.e., the burst mode at the max frame rate only. The Rob Galbraith web site says its burst numbers are from a 30 second run. The 15 shots I got account for about 3 seconds, after which the the shots slowed to something like 1+ seconds each (seat of the pants estimate). That actually agrees (give or take a ballpark) with the Galbraith burst number for holding the shutter release down for 30 seconds. And the Galbraith data for the 30 second busts got 35, 37, and 38 shots using 30, 45, and 95 mb/s Sandisk cards, which to me are all the same number - the variability in the test data is undoubtedly as large or larger than the difference among these results for different cards. Which agrees with my assessment that cards faster than 30 mb/s won't help the D7000 using my settings.<br>

One important factor to realize here is that the number of frames that a buffer can store is controlled by the size of the images (megapixels and file type/size/compression), buffer size, and write speed, along with additional processing time imposed by various camera settings like noise reduction. The time it takes to write to the card is affected by the camera's write speed, the card's write speed, file size, write options, etc. What I got for my camera and card combination not only may not be accurate for any other camera, if it happens to match someone's result for a different model body with different cards, it's literally just a coincidence.<br>

If you want to know what how many shots your camera can get at its maximum frame rate, you need to run your own test that is designed around the way you want to shoot in the field.</p>

<p>Mike, the buffer capacity data are really interesting - you have to be right about the buffer sizes. The difference in the number of images between the 7000 and 7100 corresponds to the difference in sensor sizes, so they must have the same buffer size. That would limit the 7100 to about 8 or 10 shots at its max frame rate; the only opportunity for improvement would be if the 7100's write speed is significantly higher than the 7000. I'm very surprised by this - I've seen lots of posts online complaining about the 7100's frame rate and buffer, but not being in the market for another camera, I never looked at specific data before.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Buffer Capacities from Nikon site<br>

12 bit RAW (lossless comp)D7100.....7, where-as D7000.......11<br /> 14 bit RAW (lossless comp)D7100.....6, where-as D7000.......10<br /> 12 bit RAW (compressed) D7100.....9, where-as D7000.......15<br /> 14 bit RAW (compressed) D7100.....8, where-as D7000.......12<br>

I think they might have kept the buffer the same size from the d7000 to the D7100!<br>

Be glad you've not got a D7100...:-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>However, the D7100 can write to a fast SD card a lot faster than the D7000 can.</p>

<p>The next generation UHP-2 SD cards have a theoretical maximum of 312 Mb/sec. We may be able to write 24MP images at 6 to 9 fps directly onto those SD cards so that no buffer is necessary any more. :-)</p>

<p>On the D7000 and D7100, I shoot 14-bit lossy compressed RAW. My rule of thumb is that the D7000 can write one RAW image file per second onto memory cards. When I used 95 Mb/sec cards, the D7100 can write three files per second, even though the D7100 files are larger.</p>

<p>Expect the next generation of SD cards to be a lot faster and more expensive. XQD? If you buy a couple of those, it'll be more expensive than your DSLR. :-)</p>

<p>It's not a controlled test with validated results, just what I got in a self test of my D-7000 set to manual 800 iso, shutter set to 1/200, 14bit losslessy comp. SanDisk Extreme Pro I got 50 shots in 30seconds by my watch second hand, and backed it up with 48 in the second test, and 90 in one minute. gotta be hard on the works to do that many in a burst. I find that if I lift my finger off of the shutter button aprox 3 seconds when the burst stalls it recovers faster and gives more in the next short burst. Not a true 30sec. burst but more photos. It seems slow on consecutive long burst. Probably heat related, don't pretend to know answer. On a short burst I might git 9-14. </p>